13685Re: [midatlanticretro] File - marchfaq.txt

  • Joe Giliberti
    Aug 1, 2009
      I was referring to the mentions of HOPE, VCF X.0, etc

      On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      I respectfully disagree.  This statement has been the standard we have used since the beginning, esp when you look at what we have in the museum.  Discussions about newer vintage computers are not a sin.  It's impossible to avoid some of the cool stuff on the trailing edge of "new".

      That said, the broad area of the bell curve starts with WWI and trails off into the mid 80's.  It's not a sliding bell curve.  We don't have plans to start exhibiting 386's next year because they've reached the ~25 year mark.  Case in point, when we bring in the Burroughs L7000 it will probably displace a newer mini like the Perkin Elmer that was in service probably through the mid 90's.  As we get better stuff some of the OT stuff will be moved out.  I believe over time we'll always favor items from the 60's and 70's because this is when so much of the best history was happening.

      I think that the radio/broadcast museum next door does a good job of maintaining a balanced focus.

      Joe Giliberti wrote:
      This file needs an update.

      On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 8:59 AM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
      midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > MARCH frequently asked questions -- last updated early 2008
      > 6. Okay, this all sounds interesting. So by "antique/vintage" do you mean my
      > old Pentium II?
      > No, we mean your old Altair, Apple II, Commodore, DEC PDP-8, Epson HX-20,
      > HP-1000, IBM PC, KIM-1... we could go through the alphabet a couple times but we
      > think you get the idea by now. We're interested in truly antique computers, not merely "used" computers.

    • Show all 211 messages in this topic