13371Re: [midatlanticretro] ISA/EISA/old x86 stuff was Re: Tandy Model 4 available for pickup

    Jul 6, 2009
      M Simon,

      First, do you have a first name? It's nice to be able to address people
      by name.

      My interest in EISA is purely tangential. I want to set up vintage
      network operating systems and would like to do it on server hardware
      that matches the vintage of the OS. Plus, thanks to a MARCH member, I
      now have a bunch of EISA cards (SCSI and network). So I need some EISA
      motherboards with processors, RAM (and the setup disk) with suitable
      cases and working power supplies. The less time I spend getting a
      machine working, the more time I have to install a network and get it
      working. Somewhere down the road, one or more of these could become an
      exhibit at the museum so a case in good condition is a plus.

      Of course EISA machines were more expensive and thus are unusual, even
      almost rare. As the industry response to IBM's PS/2 machines, they are
      historical to a degree. The problem is that the technology is the
      historical part, not any one individual machine. Compaq, HP, DEC,
      Micronics and many others all produced EISA machines in one burst to
      extend the industry standard architecture, so there is not really a
      "first" that is more collectible than any other EISA machine. The added
      expense and the PCI bus soon made EISA superflous and thus more rare and
      more interesting.

      Jim

      msimonsmail wrote:

      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:
      > > * EISA motherboards or complete EISA servers preferably .
      > > * physically small 286, 386 and 486 laptops.
      > > As you can see, I collect things many people here consider junk, so
      > > there must be a lot of this stuff in closets somewhere.
      >
      > I would like to hear more about your collections and interest.
      > Particularly in your interest in EISA motherboards and computers.
      >
      > I am personally interested in hearing about people who collect (and USE)
      > old 'commodity' pc type hardware... especially as there is so much of
      > it.. and often as you said.. many people consider it 'junk'
      > uninteresting.. or too old for use...
      >
      > I've personally seem some rather interesting pc mobos that I think are
      > historically interesting for their quirky changes.. and am generally
      > interested in finding homes for this stuff where it is appreciated and
      > perhaps utilized in new and interesting ways, or in ways that contribute
      > to development and testing, where possible.
      >
      > I am also interested in "physyically small .. laptops" as I am
      > interested in mobile and wearable computing.
      >
      > thanks
      > --
      > MS

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic