13250Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Operation of an Adding machine (are old calculators off topic?)

  • Joe Giliberti
    Jun 30, 2009
      It prints and has a ribbon. The sticker on the side indicates it was last serviced in 1978. I would imagine WD40 would do more harm than good?

      Joe

      On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      Joe Giliberti wrote:

      I was playing around with my Burroughs Adding machine today. Its from the 50's-60's. It is motor driven. I have been trying to figure out if it is broken, of if I am not using it correctly. The machine has 8 columns of 9 through 1, a clear button (marked E), +, -, x, *TOT, -| |- NA, and ST. It also has a small electric button on the side.

      Can anyone teach me? :)

      Joe
      One thing you need is a visor.  Most pictures you see of people using these things were wearing visors.    I don't think they work otherwise.

      But seriously you probably want to clean it of dust and then lube/NYE oil the moving parts.  I have a few here and there but I don't do much with them.  Does it have a ribbon/printer or is it just a calculator?

      Related question
      Would an exhibit of old adding machines be acceptable as a VCF exhibit or too off topic?

      bd

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic