12850Re: [midatlanticretro] makeshift IBM monitor

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Jun 1, 2009
      --- On Sun, 5/31/09, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote:

      >there is a bit of rust on the cover, but not significant. I'm using a >random AT keyboard, as I do not have a model M

      An AT keyboard will not work on this machine. You need an XT keyboard. The plugs are the same, but the protocol is different. Some early AT keyboards also have a switch (sometimes hidden behind a little panel in th bottom) to switch between AT and XT modes.

      The original CGA card has RCA plugs on it, and if I remember correctly, it should be composite video. But, I do believe that the composite video output does not support all video modes that the CGA card can do. Your best bet is to find a real monitor...

      You can't connect the CGA card to a VGA monitor, but you CAN use (with limited color palette), an analog RGB monitor, such as the ones used on the Commodore Amiga. CGA is a digital RGB, and uses an intensity line. The analog monitors will display the digital signal, but can't use the intensity line - so all the "light" colors come out as the same color as their "bright" counterparts. It's usable though.

      -Ian
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic