1280RE: [midatlanticretro] starting out

  • Evan
    Sep 20, 2005
      Joe, see my off-list reply.

      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Joe Giliberti
      Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 1:32 PM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] starting out

      Evan wrote:
      Joe,

      Welcome to our hobby and club!

      How did you learn about us?  Where in the mid-atlantic region do you live?

      Who am I: Besides running MARCH, I'm also the editor of Computer Collector Newsletter, which has worldwide readership.

      Anyway, you'll find that most collectors either get a little of everything and anything, or they pick a specialty and become experts in it.  For example, I chose the latter route -- I collect vintage handhelds and laptops almost exclusively.

      I suggest that you join the mailing list called "cctalk" based at www.classiccmp.org -- that's the largest global mailing list for the hobby.  You can also use the web forum at www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum, which in addition has classified ads.  Other ads are at www.vintagecomputermarketplace.com, and you should buy Michael Nadeau's book "Collectible Microcomputers", both as noted by Bill Degnan.  And as you found, the site www.old-computers.com is a great online encyclopedia.

      Keep in mind that there's much more to collect besides microcomputers.  Many people get into minicomputers, and many people keep into the various kinds of software, chips, literature/books, I/O devices, storage, etc.

      As for MARCH, we have members all over the region, and spanning the whole range of vintage computing interests.  We also have live events a few times each year.  Currently we're planning a physical museum in Wall Township, N.J., and we're also planning to host a "light" version of the famous Vintage Computer Festival (vintage.org) next spring.

      Any questions?  Just ask!

      -- Evan Koblentz, a.k.a. "club prez because no one else was dumb enough to take the gig"