12775Re: Automatic Gate Idea

  • Brian Cirulnick
    May 28, 2009
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
      > Parts that are subject to lots of load and mechanical wear will break
      > down eventually. Period.

      That's not the only issue. The things needs to be 100% waterproof, (exposed to the elements, that's unlikely) and secondly exposed components will rust, wear, and break. The wheel the gate will roll on will wear, if the roller it's on has any resistance, the wheel will develop a flat spot from drag,.. I mean, the list goes on. And that's not counting people fiddling with it.

      Plus we would need to design the thing to be easily serviceable. You're talking metal fabrication on a pretty decent scale, this isn't something you build on a perf board and a plastic box from Radio Shack.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic