12524Re: [midatlanticretro] MARCH committee to select chips for an exhibit / was: Re: Chips that changed the world

    May 7, 2009
      Evan,

      A name tag is not a meaningful, informative sign. Signage should explain
      why each machine is significant - why was it chosen for this "best of"
      exhibit. Then there should be information about the chips and chip
      families in the exhibit as a whole. And something about how these
      machines were programmed - both the lineage of the BASIC language and
      the machine languages. Something about the operating systems, both disk-
      and ROM-based, would tie the machines to present day computers. Each
      machine had strengths and weaknesses - what were they and why?

      Such signs will not be easy, but with them, the exhibit would be truly
      instructive for visitors. Each sign should be about a half-page of text
      printed large enough so they can be read from several feet away. This is
      a significant amount of work, but most of it does not require someone to
      be at InfoAge and can be done anywhere.

      Jim

      Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > microcomputers already on exhibit are important, then a bunch of chips
      > on a shelf in a display case is a total waste.
      >
      > Don't be so skeptical. There are already signs, albeit simple ones, for
      > most of the systems that we have on display. As for the chips exhibit,
      > it certainly would not be merely "a bunch of chips on a shelf" .... I'm
      > only soliciting ideas for what could go into an exhibit, sparked by the
      > recent link from Rich C.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic