12487Re: Chips that changed the world

  • Brian Cirulnick
    May 4, 2009
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Cini" <rcini@...> wrote:

      > For those interested, IEEE has an article about the 25 chips that
      > changed the world. The NE555 is #1 and the 6502 is #2.
      >
      > http://spectrum.ieee.org/may09/8747

      What's funny is how many of those chips I've used in one way or another, but I disagree with some of their picks, for example, it would have been better to include the "Rockwell chipset" that made high-speed modems really affordable, and while I've no objection to the wonderful 555 as #1 (I've built a lot of crap with that chip), where is the 7XXX CMOS chips that were the basis of zillions of Radio Shack project books?

      Am I the only geek left that still finds those "150 in one electronics lab" kits fascinating?

      And how about the (I think) 85C05 that ran the very first laptops?

      Ah well....
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic