12447Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: virus problem

  • Bill Dromgoole
    Apr 30 3:00 PM
      From: <evan@...>
      To: " Yahoo MARCH Yahoo" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:08 PM
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: virus problem

      >>> If you're trying to avoid formatting and rebuilding the OS (which is the
      >>> best solution) because you don't have a data backup or for some other reason

      Three reasons -- not my computer, already promised I'd be able to fix it, and
      the best reason of all -- man v machine and I don't like to lose!!

      ------------------------------------
      I like Kelly's idea.

      "I've had OK luck on some of these troublesome ones by pulling the drive and
      connecting it using one of those really cheap USB/IDE adapter cables. Start a
      known good computer, make sure AUTO RUN is not on, then plug the drive/adapter
      into the known good machine. Scan from there.

      Kelly"

      I never tried it that way but none of the files would be in use and the virus
      code would not be running.
      It sounds good, only question is --- Is there any risk of infecting the host
      system?

      Bill Dromgoole
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic