12226Re: Plus/4

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Apr 8, 2009
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:

      Speaking of NTSC.. I used to use one of the Plus/4s at
      > work, as a way to generate a title "slate" for recording music cues
      > on to videotape. It worked quite well with the old Sony BVH-800 U-
      > Matic 3/4" machines. But that was because the machines were not the
      > least bit fussy about the quality of the video and the stability of
      > the time base. Once we switched to professional Beta format, the
      > Plus/4s didn't work properly. At that point, I got an Amiga (1000?)
      > (Also now at MARCH) with a gen-lock board, and that worked like a
      > champ.

      If I recall, the VIC-20 was "genlockable" and was used quite extensively as a cheap Khyron. I also used a C-64 setup for use as a teleprompter because it easily integrated with existing NTSC equipment in a video studio.

      But yes, the Amiga was the champ when it came to the genlock. More Anime was fan-subtitled with the Amiga than probably any other system.

      Mark Tilden (of Robosapien fame) originally built his own subtitling equipment for his anime releases. Sean Farquarson and I used his Amiga 500 and Mike Ling's genlock, while I typed up the scripts on my 1000.

      Man, that was a lifetime ago....
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic