11941Re: Minicomputers

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Mar 5, 2009
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> wrote:
      > Isn't a small multi-user machine the definition of a mini?

      Then every unix machine, regardless of size, would be a mini.

      Wasn't there a multi-post argument last week about what a mini is or isn't? And I believe the end result was that no one could agree on what a mini is, other than "larger than a micro, but smaller than a mainframe".

      Admittedly, having never seen the machine in question, I'm not going to argue for or against it, but, if it's got it's own screen and keyboard to provide a GUI, is it really a multi-user machine (unless it's providing a GUI via multiple serial terminals, in which case, that *is* unique (and interesting))??

      Regardless, it sounds like an interesting machine, but is it the right fit for this exhibit?

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic