      From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
      Subject: [midatlanticretro] Bill Degnan Guest Speaker at PACS meeting Sat May 16th
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 5:40 PM

      *Topic Description* - Vintage Computing - How the Evolution of Microcomputing Influenced PACS  - A 1983 Perspective

      By 1983, the original homebrew computer hackers who founded the Philadelphia Area Computing Society of the mid 1970's were disbursing into other realms. The collective goal of the original PACS membership was homebrew hardware hacking, but by 1983 this was no longer the PACS sole purpose.  At this point in history the membership had fragmented to special interest groups, whose focus was increasingly centered around application software and programming.  The changes spurred a lot of debate among the PACS membership and there were many editorials on the subject in the PACS _Data Bus_ newsletter at this time.

      Bill Degnan will discuss Steve Longo's October 1983 _Data Bus_ editorial that documents the transformation of the PACS membership in response to successive milestones in microcomputing.  Steve's editorial also recognizes the contributions of early PACS members in the development of microcomputing.    Although some of the persons described by Mr. Longo are not nationally known, they do reveal the fact that PACS members have made contributions to microcomputing that should be recognized.  Mr. Degnan will bring a photo presentation to support the discussion consisting of computers from the early days of PACS through 1983, and at least one working "vintage" computer from this era.

      As a Philadelphia area resident, it's a source of pride to read about the contribution of Philadelphians to the development of microcomputers and applications.

      If anyone is interested in attending, the Philadelphia Area Computer Society web site is at www.pacsnet. org where you can find out all about us including directions.  I am scheduled for their main session from noon-1PM.  I have been told to expect 50-70 people out of their 200+ membership to attend, most of whom are home users with a general knowledge of computers.  They will range from novices to MS certified consultants.

      It would be great if we had a MARCH contingent to heckle me from the rafters.  :-)

      Jim - Can you add this as an event on our web site?