1107Re: [midatlanticretro] Altair serial port problems

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Aug 7, 2005
      I do have a 8800b with 48 K memory.
      Sounds like you have been working hard on this project and I may not be able
      to offer much help, but here are my thoughts. Do you have a Fluke data
      analyzer using an 8080 pod to review the serial port traffic? I am not really sure
      how to use a Fluke data analyzer with an 8080 pod myself, but I know that this
      is a good way to test an 8080 machine using the serial port. You can compare
      the two serial cards this way, see if there are differences. You can also
      confirm the byte structure is what your emulator wants. It's very possible you
      have done something like this already.

      I seem to remember that there are ways to change settings on my serial cards
      for data transfer structure and baud rate. It might be worth cycling through
      the options.

      Have you tried a "real" terminal? I have found that the older terminals work
      better than Windows terminal emulators. When working on an SWTPC 6800 I
      could not get it to work properly until I tried a Zenith z-cn-19, set at 300 baud.

      I may be way off - I am not an engineer. I am more of a persistent tester.

      If you're really stuck and want to cart your 8800b over to my house (corner
      of Delaware/MD/PA) you can use my 8800b to compare with yours. I could learn a
      lot from your experiences with the Altair as well. I also have an IMSAI 8080
      and a 8800b-T

      Bill

      In a message dated 8/6/2005 10:39:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      rcini@... writes:

      > So, here's the question: does anyone in this group have a
      > known-working SSM configuration and known-working program that I can
      > compare to what I have? I'm looking to compare jumper settings, cable
      > wiring and software -- everything. A solution is here but I'm not seeing
      > it yet. I'm also going to write a short Windows-based "paper tape"
      > emulator instead of trying to use the upload command of Procomm. I think
      > that something is getting messed up with that.
      > Thoughts? Thanks.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic