1095RE: Tandy systems

  • Mike Loewen
    Aug 4, 2005
      On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Kelly Leavitt wrote:

      > All kidding aside, I have quite a Tandy business machine collection,
      > including complete Model II, Model 12, Model 16b, Model 6000s. I also have a
      > Model 4 and 4p that work. A model 100, 102 and 200. For the PCs, I have a
      > model 1000sx.

      I am looking at eventually adding more Tandy machines, to include any
      of the non-Coco systems prior to the Model 1000s. Currently, the only
      functional unit I have is a 128Kb Model 4 (non-gate array), which was my
      2nd computer. I also have a 64Kb gate-array Model 4 with floppy drive
      problems, and a functional Model 1 monitor. I've been promised a complete
      Model III system with printer, hopefully by the end of the summer. My
      first computer was a Model III, which I gradually upgraded to 48Kb, 2 SSDD
      floppy drives, RS-232 interface and a 300bps modem.

      I have two 5Mb primary hard drives for the Model III/4 systems, one
      with a defective controller and the other untested.

      I'm particularly interested in finding (and making operational) a
      6000HD system. I learned Unix (XENIX, actually) on one of those in 1985,
      and wrote a BBS for it which ran for a couple of years in the Tacoma, WA
      area. I understand that hard drives were a common failure point on the
      6000s, and indeed that's what eventually took down our BBS system. We had
      an optional 4-port serial board installed, and four 2400bps modems online.

      Most of my recent acquisitions have been CP/M based systems. I have an
      Osborne 1 (original tan case), 2nd revision Osborne 1 (blue/white) and an
      Osborne Executive. Also a Kaypro 2, Kaypro 2X and a Kaypro 10.

      I also have 3 Apple IIe systems and parts which I have to test and
      consolidate. Two are vanilla IIe systems and the third is the enhanced
      version. I'll probably put together one of each, and make the third
      available for a trade.

      I'm slowly putting my collection online: URL at the bottom.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...