10944Re: Possible fun experiment

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Jan 5, 2009
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Frady"
      <Legodude522@...> wrote:

      > The Dana Alphasmart doesn't sound like a bad idea. That brings the
      > clamshell Apple Newton to mind.

      -------------

      Here are a few other ideas:

      Windows CE based HPC - advantages: good battery life, instant-on (no
      boot required), provides an MS-word compatible doc file (some schools
      REQUIRE MSword). Disadvantages: requires (often proprietary) serial
      cable to "sync" w/desktop pc to copy files, requires vintage ni-cad
      or lithium battery to be in good enough shape to hold a charge.

      Toshiba T-1000 (style) DOS laptop - advantages: durable as a Model
      100, and has a good keyboard, usually comes with a complete set of
      ports (serial, parallel, VGA out) and floppy drive. Many booted from
      ROM, so boot time is fairly quick. Diadvantages: some only had a
      floppy drive, so saving files and loading a word processor may be
      slow. Again, proprietary battery (but can be easily hacked), so
      holding a charge is questionable after all this time.

      Atari Portfolio -- Might be too small to be useful.

      Wp-5 -- I can't remember if that's what it was called, but Tandy made
      these as well, it was essentially a Model 100 chopped down to be just
      a word processor. Pretty sure it also ran on AA batteries. My memory
      is going though, so, don't hold me to this until I have a moment to
      check on google if this is what it was called.

      I personally would go for the T-1000 laptop. For a very, very, very
      long time I used one as my personal "laptop", and only recently have
      switched to an EEE-PC. Try to find one with the large, backlit screen
      and DOS on ROM. Mine also had a PCMCIA 2mb ram card which I was able
      to use as "Drive D", which meant storing my files and apps was on a
      ram card and was very fast (I just had to remember to backup to
      floppy). I loved that thing and was sad when it died.

      ttyl
      Brian C.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic