10933Re: [midatlanticretro] Possible fun experiment

  • Bryan Pope
    Jan 3, 2009
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > I don't think you will be happy with the 100's tiny screen and general
      > slowness.
      I can agree with your on the tiny screen, but on the slowness? How long
      does it take to boot up a PC with XP, then start the latest version of
      Office? Joe could be half done typing War & Peace in that same time
      with a Model 100.. ;) Even a C64 + 1541 + Speedscript would be faster!

      Cheers,

      Bryan

      > You should go on Craigslist and just buy a used modern laptop for a
      > couple hundred bucks. Then load it with Linux and OpenOffice.
      > *From*: "Joe Giliberti"
      > *Date*: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 18:02:16 -0500
      > *To*: midatlanticretro<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      > *Subject*: [midatlanticretro] Possible fun experiment
      > I will be starting school (again) in about three weeks. I going at it
      > full time, and none of my classes are a math or (traditional) science
      > base. Therefore, I will be writing lots and lots of notes, and
      > probably a good deal of reports.
      > My handwriting is terrible. I can barely read it, so I'm definitely to
      > be using some type of laptop. However, with all the discussion of AP
      > reporters still using Model 100 Tandys after all these year (whether
      > or not factual) got me thinking: Could I survive a semester of college
      > using mostly a vintage laptop?
      > Now, I am definitely not referring to a Kaypro or an Osbourne. I would
      > want some type of flat screen. I would also require that it be powered
      > by some type of conventional battery (as I'd probably be unable to
      > find a proprietary replacement), be no more than twelve pounds in
      > weight, and have the ability to connect to a printer.
      > Obviously such a machine would not be of much use for web browsing, or
      > digital media, which is good for me. Hopefully it would serve to
      > lessen distractions. The computer labs are always available should I
      > need interweb access on-campus.
      > Lastly, if I were to get started and realize the endevour to be
      > futile, I can always switch back to my 3 month old toshiba.
      > Whaddaya think?
      >
      > Joe
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic