10895Re: [midatlanticretro] More Classic Computer Ads

    Jan 1, 2009
      Happy New Year everyone.

      The thing I find so amazing when I look at the prices in these ads is
      that today we MARCHins trade these same items like the marbles or
      baseball cards we traded as kids. (Hell, I have no idea what most of you
      guys traded when you were kids. I don't remember my kids trading
      anything with their friends.)

      Today 15 megabytes is a laughable amount of storage. We throw away flash
      drives with more capacity, so today a drive like that is only of
      interest to collectors like us.

      Todays low prices are what's wrong with computers as a hobby today.
      There is no commitment on the part of the buyer. For a very few hundred
      much smaller dollars we get giga-everything and expect it to run
      flawlessly right out of the box. What fun is that? And when a hard drive
      fails today, it goes to the dump (or maybe recycling) even if it's under
      warranty!

      It took real effort to connect that $2500 disk drive to your $4500
      computer and that ignores the effort just to lift it.

      Last, what are collectors going to laugh at in 30 years? There are
      almost no computer ads today. If you subscribe to PC Magazine, you have
      received your last issue. The print version is no longer. In 1983 PC
      Magazine published every two weeks (26 issues per year) and was almost
      an inch think. It was crammed with ads. Better buy the January issue;
      it's a piece of history.

      Jim

      Christian Liendo wrote:

      > I dont care about the guys comments, I am enjoying the ads.

    • Show all 36 messages in this topic