      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of madodel@...
      Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 7:09 AM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] what is considered a vintage apple computer?

      In, on 08/02/05 at 12:17 AM,
         "Evan" <evan947@...> said:

      >>>>  Can you
      imagine the value of the very first IBM PC?

      >We certainly can,
      and it's not high as you might think.  The original IBM
      >PC - aka the
      Model 5150 - is worth about $50-$150 depending on condition,
      >according to
      Mike Nadeau's book "Collectible Microcomputers".  The book
      >is a year
      or two old, but the price is fairly steady.

      My point was not that it was an original IBM PC, but it was THE original
      IBM PC. The very first one.  That puppy lead to the most successful
      computer introduction ever.  IBM had predicted a total life sales of about
      275,000 over 5 years for the PC.  They had about 500,000 sold before it
      was even officially announced.  And now IBM is out of the PC business.

      >I believe most people in the PS/2 universe, and
      elsewhere in x86-land,
      >still consider themselves "users" more than
      "collectors".

      >An original PS/2 - which I hope you're not paying
      any more than about $50
      >for in great condition - might be considered
      really vintage and
      >collectible in another couple of years for its
      20th
      >anniversary.

      I agree.  Though there was just a model 55SX on eBay that was still in the
      original shipping box, never used.  It had been in a computer dealer's
      storage for about 15 years.  That I was willing to go as high as $150
      before I gave up.  At $150 I thought it was way too high, however I'm
      looking for vintage PS/2's for a specific reason, but some collectors are
      just plain nuts. ;-)

      Mark

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

      Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005  http://www.warpstock.org
      Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

      For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

        "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself.   That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic