10401Re: [midatlanticretro] HP 7978A Mag tape 9-track 6250bpi

  • Mike Loewen
    Nov 6, 2008
      On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

      > I rescued this about a year ago to use with a uVAX thinking it had a
      > SCSI interface. Unfortunately it is HP-IB. The previous owner was a
      > company in Bristol, CT, where I was assured the unit was working well
      > when it was removed from service several years earlier. The tape drive
      > and the cabinet are immaculate.

      The 7978A was commonly used with the later series HP3000 minicomputers,
      whose peripherals were mostly HP-IB based. I worked on them briefly
      around 1988. No vacuum columns on this one - it uses a buffer for tape
      tensioning.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...