1038RE: [midatlanticretro] what is considered a vintage apple computer?

  • Evan
    Jul 30, 2005
      Jim, read ahead in your MARCH messages: Bill says he was joking.   :)

      From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jim Scheef
      Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2005 12:55 AM
      To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] what is considered a vintage apple computer?

      Bill and all,

      Are we about vintage or are we about COLLECTIBLE? Vintage is like porn, I
      know it when I see it and your mileage may vary. Whether a Mac is vintage or
      not is immaterial to whether it is collectible or not. IOW, you're both

      As to the 1987 Sundance becoming vintage... In CT a car becomes vintage on
      it's 25th birthday. The state does not issue 'classic' plates for 25 year old
      Ferraris. If the car is 25 years or older, it is 'vintage' regardless of it's
      pedigree. While I tend to agree that there will never be a "Sundance Owners
      Club", you never know!

      --- billdeg@... wrote:

      > The last
      vintage Apple was the IIGS.  There is no such thing as a vintage
      > And while we're at it, the IBM AT or newer is not vintage, any
      Amigas are
      > not
      > vintage.  It does not matter how many years
      go by, MAC's will never be
      > vintage computers.  There is no sliding
      time scale where each year a new
      > set of
      > machines becomes
      vintage.  In short, the vintage era ended for new machine
      > models
      > that were first released no later than 1987, and mostly before
      > That does not mean that I don't save newer
      interesting computers however, I
      > just don't call them
      > Will the 1987 Plymough Sundance become a vintage car
      someday?  I think not.
      > And for making such statements I am
      standing behind the chicken wire so
      > feel
      > free to throw your
      beer bottles at will.  I expect differences in opinion.
      Thank you very much.
      > Bill
      > In a message dated
      7/30/2005 7:38:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > chrism3667@...
      > > in my opinion, vintage macs consist of the IIs
      > >  earlier machines. Some would even balk at stuff
      > >  late, but I would include the II, IIX, and IIFX
      > >  that they represent Apples foray into color.
      > >  there were add on cards for the SE with which
      > >  could drive a big juicy external color monitor
      > >  have the mono mini me mac alongside). But then
      > >  the SE may have been released at the same time as
      > >  II. And Ill give someone a dollar if they can tell
      > >  what HMMU stands for :D
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic