See Rockapella with Special Guests Cartoon Johnny at The Birchmere on May 5th

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2011

      Dear A Cappella Friends and Fans,

      I'm coming out of retirement just long enough to let you know about a fabulous night of a cappella that you should not miss!

      Come see legendary a cappella group Rockapella with special guests and DC faves Cartoon Johnny at our beloved Birchmere on May 5th!

      Details below.

      Hope to see you there!

      Best,
      Ted Donat

      ---------------------------

      ROCKAPELLA IS BACK WITH A "BANG"!

      America's Leading A Cappella Group to
      Perform at the Birchmere Music Hall in Alexandria, VA on May 5, 2011

      Rockapella is back with a "Bang"!  With the celebration of their long-awaited new studio album titled, "Bang," this awe-inspiring quintet of vocal talent returns to the Birchmere Music Hall on Thursday, May 5, 2011. If you've missed their concert in the past, DON'T MISS IT THIS YEAR!  With new songs, new staging and new surprises, this is the show not to miss.

      The world's most loved five-man contemporary pop vocal phenomenon known for their astonishing live performances and their 5-year stint as the house band on the PBS hit kids game show, "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?", delivers a breathtaking album that stays true to the group's roots, melding soul, rock, rhythm and blues together to form their trademark style of contemporary pop music. "Bang!" It's startling…exhilarating…impossible to ignore. It features 12 all-original tracks (at least one written by each band member), plus a bonus track cover of Vampire Weekend's, "A-Punk."

      The little miracle that keeps the crowds coming back year after year and constantly drawing new fans is Rockapella's astounding full-band sound that seems to be impossibly coming from just five guys with microphones. No instruments, no tracks, no mirrors – and their hands never leave their wrists. "We're making every bit as much music as the whole `Glee' chorus – but with only 5 guys," says Rockapella's human beat-box Jeff Thacher.

      "We make it rock and make it interesting," explains Scott Leonard, the group's chief songwriter, arranger and architect of their evolving dynamic sound. USA Today summed up the lasting appeal like this, "The best musical instrument of all is the human voice – if you've seen Rockapella you know that's the truth."

      WHO:      Rockapella (www.Rockapella.com)
      WHAT:
      An Intimate Evening with Rockapella with Cartoon Johnny!
      WHEN:  Wednesday, May 5, 2011, 7:30pm.

      WHERE:  The Birchmere, 3701 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria, VA 22305
      TICKETS:  At Ticketmaster.com or call (800)745-3000. Tix also available at Birchmere Box Office, from 5-9pm, any night we have a show.

      "Bang" can be purchased through
      Rockapella.com via digital download, physical CDs and even a Deluxe Package which includes two Live Bonus tracks and a microphone shaped memory stick with the album preloaded onto it.

      Recently, Rockapella released the first ever a cappella track on the Rock Band Network with the title track from their new album,
      Bang.  Rockapella's Jeff Thacher on the track's inclusion - "Many of our fans are probably saying to themselves "Of course!" We're utterly excited to be on Rock Band... I think it's definitely one of the coolest moments in Rockapella's history!"

      About Rockapella
      The group was formed for the sheer love of performing; singing on New York City street corners with a hat out at their feet. They caught the eye of a producer putting together a television special titled "Do It A Cappella," hosted by filmmaker Spike Lee. This in turn led to a daily appearance on "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?"  Since then, Rockapella has become an international sensation, touring throughout the United States, Europe, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Korea.   Rockapella has released 20 albums over the last 20 years, with their most recent being Bang.

      After sold-out national tours year after year, including sold-out performances with Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops Orchestra, Rockapella guarantees each of their concerts will deliver an unrivaled and joyful musical performance that cannot be found anywhere else.

      All of Rockapella's members are accomplished musicians.  Super-bass George Baldi was formerly a member of the band that later became Boyz 2 Men; Steven Dorian
      comes to Rockapella straight from the world famous stages of Disney, having played many major roles in Disney productions, including Disney's Festival of the Lion King.  Scott Leonard leads the group musically, shaping Rockapella's characteristic sound by writing, arranging and producing most of the group's material. John Brown has performed across the country, on- and off-Broadway, and has shared stages with greats such as Phil Collins, Tina Turner, and Julie Andrews. Rockapella boasts the jaw-dropping, unique, and powerful talents of Jeff Thacher, a pioneer and leader in the mouth percussion world, who anchors the group's instrument-less sound.

      For more information on Rockapella, tour dates and ticket sales, visit www.ROCKAPELLA.com.

      About Cartoon Johnny

      Cartoon Johnny is an energetic vocal band that pushes the limits of traditional a cappella. Drawing on influences from classic soul to modern alternative, they've crafted an exciting sound that is often mistaken for an instrumental band - but it's all vocal.

      Based in the Washington DC area, Cartoon Johnny performs a variety of sure-fire audience favorites and their own original music, bringing audiences to their feet show after show. They are two-time National Harmony Sweepstakes finalsists, winning the title for the Mid-Atlantic Region in 2005, and in New York in 2009.

      Cartoon Johnny has shared the stage with some of the best in a cappella and beyond. Highlights include headlining ACappellaFest Detroit in 2010, and performing with Marvin Hamlisch in his Christmas special at the Kennedy Center in 2008. Hamlisch invited the group to join him for his July 4th concerts in San Diego in 2009.

      For more information on Cartoon Johnny, visit www.cartoonjohnny.com.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2011

        Hope you can make it out to see Rockapella with local faves Cartoon Johnny tomorrow night (Thursday) at The Birchmere!

        Details below.

        Best,
        Ted Donat