July 4 on Capital Mall

  • John Hosie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2008
      The AM/FM VLQ is planning this year's singing on the Capital Mall in Washington, DC. This is not official or anything. For the last two years on the 4th, we've wandered around on the mall and sang patriotic and gospel music to small groups of people.

      Well, we've changed our focus a little this year, and decided to plan it some. We've decided to make monuments our focus - to honor those who've sacrificed so much to give us our liberty.

      If you're interested in dropping in, joining us, or just want to enjoy the day, here's our plan. First of all, pull the map at:
      http://www.nps.gov/nationalmallplan/Maps.html

      This is roughly where we plan to be:

      World War II Memorial            1:00
      Viet Nam Veteran's Memorial   1:30
      Lincoln Memorial                   2:00
      Korean War Memorial             2:30
      DC WW I Memorial                 3:00

      This schedule gives us 15 minutes at each place, plus 15 minutes to walk to the next.

      So come on down to Washington, DC and enjoy the 4th in our nation's capital.

      AM/FM is a "VLQ", or Very Large Quartet. We sing a cappella music in four part barbershop harmony. But we usually have more than four men show up to perform. The group has varied over the last four years from 6 to 14 men. We opened for the Christian rock band, the Newsboys at the Pentagon September 11 Memorial Service in 2007*. We've had numerous other credits. But our focus is on ministering to patients in nursing homes and hospitals around the DC area, and in singing for our armed forces.

      Sincerely,
      John W. Hosie III
      (301) 509 1089
      http://amfm-bbs.spaces.live.com

      *We were introduced as "The Pentaon Barbershop Quartet" and sang "The Star Spangled Banner".