Re: Hydro in the Catskills

  • lancie1
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      Cynthia,

      No doubt, the most practical, best long-term, easiest for you:

      Pay $60,000 for the power line. Split the cost between the 3 new
      houses, adding only $20000 to the price of each. It will be a baragain!

      Now, that being said, depending on the head and flow of water available
      in the streams, you could develop a hydroelectric system that might
      supply enough power for at least 1 house. But if these houses are for
      resale, this will not necessarily add to the value. There are not a
      whole bunch of people who want to buy a house for which they also have
      to be responsible for maintaining the electric generation system.

      Besides, it would probably cost lots more than $60000 to develop a
      system large enough to supply 3 houses.
    • Rick Hibberd
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
        Lancie1 writes: > Pay $60,000 for the power line.
        Cynthia,
        Lancie's absolutely right, unless you have lots of head and flow and
        plenty of time, perseverance, and enough money to get through the
        project. I would not have installed my system if it were not for my
        neighbor/partner who has the engineering knowledge, the heavy equipment
        for construction of the dam, the pennstock, the powerhouse, the
        tailstock, and the passion to install all the parts and pieces bought
        on EBay. FERC and DEC took over a year and the construction was over 8
        months with just the two of us doing it. We'll have power for both of
        our homes, but we'll stay connected to the grid for low flow and
        breakdowns. We did our works for under 30 grand, but only because he
        had all the tools and know-how. With hired engineers and contractors
        and new equipment, I would otherwise have had Return-On-Investment for
        my Catskills project in about 42 years.

        Rick