Re: [microhydro] New technology

  • Carlos Bonifetti
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
      Scott,

      No, I'm not familiar with that such special piston turbine. As videos show, the momentum is very high viewing the 'stick test'.
      I'm curious also about how the pistons can work. About overall efficiency a don't find numbers that can show that the machine can be best than a traditional turbine type.

      Regards,
      Carlos

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
        Scoot:

        This type of Turbine, I would called a water pressure 4 - 6 - 8 -12 - etc Pistons Motor.

        The basic photo is not longer displayed, One could see that it had a long hose going to each piston and all the pistons were driving a crankshaft to convert the liner movement of the piston to rotational, like in a regular automobile gas engine, including, as well, gears that in this case were not reducing but multiplying to be able to reach the RPM of the Generator

        The cost of manufacturing such motor is quite high for the ratio of energy that can be generated.

        Installation cost could go, just for the basic turbine for around 7 to 10 thousand dollars per KW.

        50 psi = 115.5 = 35.2 meter head

        220 gallons = 831.6 liter/min = 13.86 liter/second

        Watts = 35.2 * 13.86 * 9.81 = 4.78 KW ( This for 100 % perfect system, with 100 % efficiency)

        So they are saying that can produce MORE KWs than the water may have available.

        CAVEAT EMPTOR

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
          'New" Technology

          We never want to discourage "thinking outside of the box" approach to
          problem solution. We do, however, need to look at cost and operational reliability
          in the real world. If you could even afford to build a such a unit it would
          have to be relegated to "lab" grade fluid to run. We all face the problem of
          sediment removal from the water that feeds our turbines. Just a pinch of
          sediment in a piston engine will result in a most undesirable scenario. Even a
          good diversion screen will not clean water for a piston driven generator.

          Cheers,

          Bob

          Robert K. Weir P.E.
          Hydroscreen CO. LLC
          303-333-6071
          Fax 303-393-8298
          e-mail rkweir@...
          _www.hydroscreen.com_ (http://www.hydroscreen.com/)

          "We don't just sell screens, we engineer solutions"

        • Rural World Resources
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2006
            DEAR ALL,

            "Light Up Rural Africa Program in Cameroon

            The government of the peoples Republic of China in its program of Lighting up rural Africa will offer ten small hydro power turbines of about 10 KW each to rural communities of Cameroon.

            Extra funds are required for civil works and distribution to households which will use power for lighting during the evening period. Partners are sought to fund income generating activities using electricity during the remaining 18 hours of each day. Activities identified include small scale rock crushing, corn milling, cassava processing, chicken egg incubation, carpentry and welding workshops.

            Partner’s funds will be reimbursed with interest from tariffs collected from households and the small scale industries.

            Benefits to partners include:
            • Replication of process in more than 100 communities
            • Opportunities to develop 10 larger sites ranging from 300 KW to 10 MW for connection to the national grid
            • Ease in obtaining authorisations, concession rights and licences from the government of Cameroon for the exploitation hydropower resources
            • Incentive regarding taxation and profit exportation from the Cameroon government
            • Acquiring part funding in grants
            • Expanding to five neighbouring African countries in Central Africa

            ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME

            FOMBONG Matty FRU, Executive Director,
            Rural World Resources International
            P O Box 522, Mankon,Bamenda
            North West Province,
            Tel: 00237 5426904
            CAMEROON

          • CHUCK SIMCOX
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2006
              Hi:

              Very true story! My son builds engines and the dust in the air will cause wear, so without an air cleaner it accelerates the wear even faster!

              We never want to discourage "thinking outside of the box" approach to
              problem solution. We do, however, need to look at cost and operational reliability
              in the real world. If you could even afford to build a such a unit it would
              have to be relegated to "lab" grade fluid to run. We all face the problem of
              sediment removal from the water that feeds our turbines. Just a pinch of
              sediment in a piston engine will result in a most undesirable scenario. Even a
              good diversion screen will not clean water for a piston driven generator.

              Cheers,

              Bob

              Robert K. Weir P.E.
              Hydroscreen CO. LLC
              303-333-6071
              Fax 303-393-8298
              e-mail rkweir@...<mailto:rkweir%40aol.com>
              _www.hydroscreen.com_ (http://www.hydroscreen.com/<http://www.hydroscreen.com/>)

              "We don't just sell screens, we engineer solutions"

            • yassi yousef
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
                Dear Sir
                This is Dr. Yassi from Iranian Research Organization for Science an d Technology(IROST).We might be of some help.But how much do you antisipate in $US?
                Your's
                Y.Yassi

                Rural World Resources <ruralworldresources@...> wrote:
[...]

              • Agus Sebayang
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Dear Sir.
                  We are Asian German Consultant Insteresting about this program and
                  can you explanation about benefit and cost ? and etc.
                  warm regard.
                  Agus Sebayang

[...]

                • Michael Steger
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Dear Fombong

                    We are a Swedish manufacturer of hydro turbines; we could assist both with
                    planning and deployment.

                    Please contact the Program Support manager of Plan, their local organization
                    could hopefully help to organize the cooperation. Plan is established both
                    in Sweden and Cameroon

                    www. <http://www.plan-international.org/wherewework/westafrica/cameroon/>
                    plan-international.org/wherewework/westafrica/cameroon/

                    If any question, please send me a mail: michael@...

                    Best regards

                    Michael

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                      Dear Dr. YASSI,

                      We are very grateful for your encouraging response.

                      For the "Light Up Rural Africa" Program, we need 100,000USD for 10 village projects of 10 KW each.

                      For the "Going Into Africa" Program, we need 1,240,000USD for a 500KW Low Head project where the output power will be used in rock crushing and screening at 150 Tons/hour. The cost of the quarry/rock crushing plant is included. Another project to generate 10,000KW to connect to the national grid will need 12 Million USD.

                      We will provide ample information about any of the above when you indicate which one you are interested in. We very much desire to work with you in future.

                      Thanks for kind cooperation and best regards.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                        Dear Mr Fombong

                        Could you please give some further details about the 500 kW low head project
                        and the 10 MW project connecting to the national grid.

                        We are interested of both deploying hydro power in West Africa and also
                        cooperate with aid organizations. Do you have any contact with some Swedish
                        aid organization today?

                        Please send me some further information about the organization, Rural World
                        Resources International.

                        Yours sincerely

                        Michael Steger

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                          Dear Sir:

                          We could be interested to contribute in the development of those projects.

                          Would you have additional information the financial structure and
                          technical aspect of the projects?

                          Best regards,

                          Serge Bouchard

                          --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, Rural World Resources
                          <ruralworldresources@...> wrote:

                          > DEAR ALL,
                          >
                          > "Light Up Rural Africa Program in Cameroon
                          >
                          > The government of the peoples Republic of China in its program of
                          Lighting up rural Africa will offer ten small hydro power turbines of
                          about 10 KW each to rural communities of Cameroon.

                          > Extra funds are required for civil works and distribution to
                          households which will use power for lighting during the evening
                          period. Partners are sought to fund income generating activities using
                          electricity during the remaining 18 hours of each day. Activities
                          identified include small scale rock crushing, corn milling, cassava
                          processing, chicken egg incubation, carpentry and welding workshops.

                          > Partner's funds will be reimbursed with interest from tariffs
                          collected from households and the small scale industries.

                          > Benefits to partners include:
                          > • Replication of process in more than 100 communities
                          > • Opportunities to develop 10 larger sites ranging from 300 KW to 10
                          MW for connection to the national grid
                          > • Ease in obtaining authorisations, concession rights and licences
                          from the government of Cameroon for the exploitation hydropower resources
                          > • Incentive regarding taxation and profit exportation from the
                          Cameroon government
                          > • Acquiring part funding in grants
                          > • Expanding to five neighbouring African countries in Central Africa
                          >
                          > ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME
                          >

                          > FOMBONG Matty FRU, Executive Director,
                          > Rural World Resources International
                          > P O Box 522, Mankon,Bamenda
                          > North West Province,
                          > Tel: 00237 5426904
                          > CAMEROON

                        • davis ron
                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                            Dec. 8, 06

                            The Watermotor was especially designed to directly
                            drive machines normally driven by electric motors. It
                            is equipped with a patented power control device that
                            allows the power output to be as easily controlled as
                            an electric motor.
                            This can be seen operating as an animation on the
                            watermotor.net web-site.
                            The Watermotor was designed to be produced locally
                            in small shops using locally available materials.
                            Other than the control device, there are no patents
                            of any kind on the Watermotor.

                            Ron Davis

                            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                          • Michael Welch
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 8, 2006
                              It is clear that what you mean by "partners," is that what you want is donated money.

                              There are a lot of good, deserving organizations out there. Yours is probably one of them. I volunteer for another one that is good and deserving of support.

                              But I would hope that we not use this list for fundraising purposes. This is a list about the ins and outs of microhydro. I suppose that at some point financing systems would be a worthwhile subject, but never on-list fundraising.

                              Further, I would caution other folks to be very careful that this is not just another internet scam.

                              Rural World Resources wrote at 01:46 AM 12/08/2006:

                              >Dear Dr. YASSI,
                              >
                              >We are very grateful for your encouraging response.
                              >
                              >For the "Light Up Rural Africa" Program, we need 100,000USD for 10 village projects of 10 KW each.
                              >
                              >For the "Going Into Africa" Program, we need 1,240,000USD for a 500KW Low Head project where the output power will be used in rock crushing and screening at 150 Tons/hour. The cost of the quarry/rock crushing plant is included. Another project to generate 10,000KW to connect to the national grid will need 12 Million USD.
                              >
                              >We will provide ample information about any of the above when you indicate which one you are interested in. We very much desire to work with you in future.
                              >
                              >Thanks for kind cooperation and best regards.
                              >
                              > FOMBONG Matty FRU, Executive Director,
                              > Rural World Resources International
                              > P O Box 522, Mankon,Bamenda
                              > North West Province,
                              > Tel: 00237 5426904
                              > CAMEROON

                              >Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
                              >
                              >NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.
                              >
                              >More information on micro hydropower at http://microhydropower.net

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Michael Lawley
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 10, 2006
                                On a similar thread.

                                EcoInnovation has been making micro hydro in the 10 to 1800 Watt band for
                                some 4 years. We do offer a container based system where countries in need
                                can buy all the parts to make say 1000 turbines. We supply all the
                                injection-molded parts, generators, jets and plans and the locals make them.
                                This involves making the cases, setting up the generator and assembly.

                                This way the country gets the skills to make, install and repair the
                                product. In quantities of 1000 at a time the unit cost can we as low as $150
                                US each for all the core parts plus freight.

                                We can also fly in and train staff in the manufacture of the turbine once
                                the container has landed. The container can also be set up with all the
                                tools required to complete the job. The turbines are only suitable for
                                battery inverter based systems or low voltage direct systems. Such items are
                                low cost these days so it is no longer such a barrier. Locals working with
                                24 volts is likely to cause fewer problems. The only other problem to solve
                                is low cost PE pipes and some wire.

                                Regards

                                Michael Lawley

                                Renewable Energy Engineer

                                EcoInnovation

                                EcoInn/EcoBach

                                671 Kent Road

                                R.D.1

                                New Plymouth

                                New Zealand

                                Phone: (NZ) 06 752 2765

                                Fax: (NZ) 06 7522768

                                Web site: www.ecoinnovation.co.nz

                                email: michael@...

                                _____

                                --- sbiwinc <serge.bouchard@ <mailto:serge.bouchard%40comcast.net>
                                comcast.net> wrote:

                                > Dear Sir:
                                >
                                > We could be interested to contribute in the
                                > development of those projects.
                                >
                                > Would you have additional information the financial
                                > structure and
                                > technical aspect of the projects?
                                >
                                > Best regards,
                                >
                                > Serge Bouchard
                                >

                                > --- In microhydro@yahoogro <mailto:microhydro%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,
                                Rural World
                                > Resources
                                > <ruralworldresources@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > DEAR ALL,
                                > >
                                > > "Light Up Rural Africa Program in Cameroon
                                > >
                                > > The government of the peoples Republic of China
                                > in its program of
                                > Lighting up rural Africa will offer ten small hydro
                                > power turbines of
                                > about 10 KW each to rural communities of Cameroon.
                                > >
                                > > Extra funds are required for civil works and
                                > distribution to
                                > households which will use power for lighting during
                                > the evening
                                > period. Partners are sought to fund income
                                > generating activities using
                                > electricity during the remaining 18 hours of each
                                > day. Activities
                                > identified include small scale rock crushing, corn
                                > milling, cassava
                                > processing, chicken egg incubation, carpentry and
                                > welding workshops.
                                > >
                                > > Partner's funds will be reimbursed with interest
                                > from tariffs
                                > collected from households and the small scale
                                > industries.
                                > >
                                > > Benefits to partners include:
                                > > . Replication of process in more than 100
                                > communities
                                > > . Opportunities to develop 10 larger sites ranging
                                > from 300 KW to 10
                                > MW for connection to the national grid
                                > > . Ease in obtaining authorisations, concession
                                > rights and licences
                                > from the government of Cameroon for the exploitation
                                > hydropower resources
                                > > . Incentive regarding taxation and profit
                                > exportation from the
                                > Cameroon government
                                > > . Acquiring part funding in grants
                                > > . Expanding to five neighbouring African countries
                                > in Central Africa
                                > >
                                > > ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME
                                > >

                                > > FOMBONG Matty FRU, Executive Director,
                                > > Rural World Resources International
                                > > P O Box 522, Mankon,Bamenda
                                > > North West Province,
                                > > Tel: 00237 5426904
                                > > CAMEROON

                                > removed]

                                http://new.mail <http://new.mail.yahoo.com> yahoo.com

                              • kyaw tint swe
                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 11, 2006

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 12, 2006
                                    Dear Mr. Michael Welch,

                                    Thanks for your comments.

                                    We are not asking for grants though we need them and we are not scam. It is unfortunate that you have misunderstood us.

                                    A lot of replies are coming this way and we will not disappoint those who are genuinely interested.

                                    Best regards

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 13, 2006
                                      Hello. I did not misunderstand.

                                      You are fundraising on a public list that is not for that purpose, while other better-mannered organizations avoid doing that. It is not fair to the other organizations when a group like yours takes liberties with lists like this.

                                      I also did not say you are a scam. (Although scam artists always say that they are not scams.) I was just cautioning list members that they should check things out very carefully before sending funds or equipment to places they do not know about, donated or not.

                                      You are fortunate to be getting replies, it is unfortunate that it is because you used the list for your fundraising purposes. Just imagine if every non-profit executive sent fundraising pleas to the listservers. We would be deluged with requests.

                                      Rural World Resources wrote at 12:47 AM 12/12/2006:

                                      >Dear Mr. Michael Welch,
                                      >
                                      >Thanks for your comments.
                                      >
                                      >We are not asking for grants though we need them and we are not scam. It is unfortunate that you have misunderstood us.
                                      >
                                      >A lot of replies are coming this way and we will not disappoint those who are genuinely interested.
                                      >
                                      >Best regards
                                      >

                                      > FOMBONG Matty FRU, Executive Director,
                                      > Rural World Resources International
                                      > P O Box 522, Mankon,Bamenda
                                      > North West Province,
                                      > Tel: 00237 5426904
                                      > CAMEROON

                                      >Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
                                      >
                                      >NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.
                                      >
                                      >More information on micro hydropower at http://microhydropower.net

                                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • davis ron
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 13, 2006
                                        Dec. 13, 06

                                        Michael,

                                        That sounds like the right idea!
                                        I think that small scale waterpower is in a similar
                                        stage of development as the auto was when Henry Ford
                                        came along and started making $250 cars.
                                        We have focused on turbines that can be used to
                                        drive machines, but the idea behind it is the same.
                                        Low-cost waterpower is democracy applied to energy.

                                        Ron Davis

                                        There

                                        === message truncated ===

                                        http://new.mail.yahoo.com