starting a new project

  • dhunganaalok2003
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 30, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I am a Mechanical engineer from Nepal. I am currently involved in a
      project to bring a proposal for the economic upliftment of a rural
      village by Mini Micro hydropower. The village has a river of high head
      but low flowrate. And i need newest technology to harness the power.
      if there is anything you guys can help. i will be very thankfull.
    • yassi yousef
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hi,
        Well come
        To begin with ,start thinking about a Pelton wheel.I think it suites your purpose.
        If you need more let me know.
        All the best
        Yousef

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
          What is Your name, if I talk to Ghosts, I am going to be called "lunatic"

          You are keeping the site secret and this way is too difficult to suggest
          solutions to You.

          Report head, water volume, power You are aiming to harvest , etc & etc, a
          lot of information may get You a lot of suggestions for your endeavor.

          > I am a Mechanical engineer from Nepal. I am currently involved in a
          > project to bring a proposal for the economic upliftment of a rural
          > village by Mini Micro hydropower. The village has a river of high head
          > but low flowrate. And i need newest technology to harness the power.
          > if there is anything you guys can help. i will be very thankfull.
          >

          > Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
          > http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
          > charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
          >
          > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
          > provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not
          > endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

          > To unsubscribe: send empty message to
          > microhydro-unsubscribe@...
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Philip Ggayi
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
            Hello,

            I believe the more experienced members of the forum will be in a better
            position to assist you if they had a clue to as to the exact or approximate
            level of the head and flow.

            Philip

            _____

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
              --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, "dhunganaalok2003"
              <dhunganaalok2003@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I am a Mechanical engineer from Nepal. I am currently involved in a
              > project to bring a proposal for the economic upliftment of a rural
              > village by Mini Micro hydropower. The village has a river of high
              head
              > but low flowrate. And i need newest technology to harness the power.
              > if there is anything you guys can help. i will be very thankfull.

              Hi to you and everybody else,

              You have a great guys and helpers here, but if they agree with me
              there is a very nice book ,,Micro-Hydro design manual`` by Adam
              Harvey. It is very nice and covers a lot of things.

              regards Nenad
            • Peter
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                Hi

                Check out the Pelton wheel Generator at the Eco-innovation web site:
                http://www.ecoinnovation.co.nz/

                They make a great variety of turbines.

                Cheers

                Peter

                _____

                dhunganaalok2003 <dhunganaalok2003@ <mailto:dhunganaalok2003%40yahoo.com>
                yahoo.com> wrote:
                Hi everyone,

                I am a Mechanical engineer from Nepal. I am currently involved in a
                project to bring a proposal for the economic upliftment of a rural
                village by Mini Micro hydropower. The village has a river of high head
                but low flowrate. And i need newest technology to harness the power.
                if there is anything you guys can help. i will be very thankfull.

              • Fly Boy
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
                  While your comments are sound and very constructive, I suspect they will be
                  of more use if the proper party that you are addressing were to receive this
                  email. Since you asked my streams seasonal flow averages from .35 m3 to 12
                  m3/s with a head of approx. 150m. I am dying to start this project but the
                  learning curve seems a bit daunting. I would love to partner with an
                  experienced party who could help bring such a project to reality.

                  Lawrence Balisky
                  Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada

                  >From: "Philip Ggayi" <philipggayi@...>
                  >To: <microhydro@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [microhydro] starting a new project
                  >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:01:20 +0300
                  >
                  >Hello,
                  >
                  >I believe the more experienced members of the forum will be in a better
                  >position to assist you if they had a clue to as to the exact or approximate
                  >level of the head and flow.
                  >

                  >Philip
                  >

                  > _____

                  Buy what you want when you want it on Sympatico / MSN Shopping
                  http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctId=2,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=081805
                • Martin.Leahy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                    Lawrence,

                    Can you check your figures? Seems unlikely that anything described as a
                    'stream' could have 0.35 m3 to 12 m3/s. With 150 m head your output
                    would be more than one MW.

                    The reason we are always careful about these numbers is that they are so
                    fundamental to any design approach and the better the information the
                    better the design and implementation will be.

                    Kind Regards,

                    Martin

                    While your comments are sound and very constructive, I suspect they will
                    be
                    of more use if the proper party that you are addressing were to receive
                    this
                    email. Since you asked my streams seasonal flow averages from .35 m3 to
                    12
                    m3/s with a head of approx. 150m. I am dying to start this project but
                    the
                    learning curve seems a bit daunting. I would love to partner with an
                    experienced party who could help bring such a project to reality.

                    Lawrence Balisky
                    Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada

                    >From: "Philip Ggayi" <philipggayi@...>
                    >To: <microhydro@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [microhydro] starting a new project
                    >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:01:20 +0300
                    >
                    >Hello,
                    >
                    >I believe the more experienced members of the forum will be in a better
                    >position to assist you if they had a clue to as to the exact or
                    approximate
                    >level of the head and flow.
                    >

                    >Philip
                    >

                    > _____

                  • sbiwinc
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Hi Lawrence:

                      Your site is definitely a good candidate for a Pelton turbine.
                      To determine the appropriate rating for the turbine, you need to
                      prepare a flow duration curve.
                      I assume the flows you mention below are extreme limits. The turbine
                      rating will be somewhere in between and will be guided by cost Vs Energy.

                      This could be a very interesting project in the range of approx. 7MW.
                      Usually, Pelton project are economically interesting.

                      You should get someone to do a preliminary study of your site to help
                      you determine the potential.
                      Also, one critical thing when you develop in Canada (if it is not in
                      Nepal) is to start the licensing process as soon as possible.

                      Best regards,
                      Serge Bouchard
                      SBIW

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                        The email was sent properly via the Microhydro group as the question was
                        presented to the group.

                        If You have such head and volume and You can use that water volume ( You may
                        have water usage restrictions ) the power available represent the investment
                        of several hundred thousands to several millions depending the size of the
                        project.

                        May be talking to the Hydro company in Canada may develop into a GRID tied
                        system ( cheaper) -- with capabilities to work alone as well.

                        > While your comments are sound and very constructive, I suspect they will
                        > be
                        > of more use if the proper party that you are addressing were to receive
                        > this
                        > email. Since you asked my streams seasonal flow averages from .35 m3 to
                        > 12
                        > m3/s with a head of approx. 150m. I am dying to start this project but
                        > the
                        > learning curve seems a bit daunting. I would love to partner with an
                        > experienced party who could help bring such a project to reality.
                        >
                        > Lawrence Balisky
                        > Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
                        >

                        >>From: "Philip Ggayi" <philipggayi@...>
                        >>To: <microhydro@yahoogroups.com>
                        >>Subject: RE: [microhydro] starting a new project
                        >>Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:01:20 +0300
                        >>
                        >>Hello,
                        >>
                        >>I believe the more experienced members of the forum will be in a better
                        >>position to assist you if they had a clue to as to the exact or
                        >>approximate
                        >>level of the head and flow.
                        >>

                        >>Philip
                        >>

                        >> _____

                      • Eric Youngren
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                          Lawrence,

                          The stream you describe is capable of many megawatts of hydropower
                          generation. This is really on the order of "small hydro" rather than
                          "microhydro".

                          I guess the question I have is how much power do you want to generate? Is
                          this a standalone (off-grid) installation or would you be selling power to
                          BC Hydro?

                          It might be helpful for you to talk to the good folks at Thompson and Howe
                          Energy Systems, they are in Kimberly BC, -- 1-250-427-4326 They may be
                          able to suggest a project engineer or contractor in your area who could
                          help.

                          I would also suggest that you begin to inquire about permitting and
                          regulatory issues that you will be faced with. Contact BC Hydro if you
                          plan to interconnect to their grid.

                          Have fun!

                          Eric

                          _____

                          <http://microhydropower.net> wer.net

                          >To unsubscribe: send empty message to
                          >microhydro-unsubscr <mailto:microhydro-unsubscribe%40YahooGroups.com>
                          ibe@...
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Buy what you want when you want it on Sympatico / MSN Shopping
                          http://shopping.
                          <http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctId=2,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=08
                          1805> sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctId=2,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=081805

                        • dhunganaalok2003
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 17, 2006
                            I am very sorry I couldn't give you details about the flowrate and
                            all of the things.
                            Actually i am starting the project. Upto the improvement is, we have
                            decided to go for improvement and modification of a traditional
                            water wheel. we are thinking of a site which can give around 50 KW.
                            Most of the water wheels are of low capacity and most unfortunate we
                            haven't found any site yet.
                            But dont worry it wont take much long because we are taking this
                            project parallely for the college final year project and an
                            international competition whose deadline is approaching and within a
                            month we have to prepare the proposal for the project with the
                            details of the site and the social impact.
                            i am very happy to hear that you are even interested in starting a
                            project.
                            if i produce the proposal i will send a copy to you also.
                            thank you for replying me, just a stupid student with big dreams.
                            thank you
                            alok
                            Nepal

                            wrote:

                            > While your comments are sound and very constructive, I suspect
                            they will be
                            > of more use if the proper party that you are addressing were to
                            receive this
                            > email. Since you asked my streams seasonal flow averages from .35
                            m3 to 12
                            > m3/s with a head of approx. 150m. I am dying to start this
                            project but the
                            > learning curve seems a bit daunting. I would love to partner with
                            an
                            > experienced party who could help bring such a project to reality.
                            >
                            > Lawrence Balisky
                            > Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
                            >

                            > >From: "Philip Ggayi" <philipggayi@...>
                            > >To: <microhydro@yahoogroups.com>
                            > >Subject: RE: [microhydro] starting a new project
                            > >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:01:20 +0300
                            > >
                            > >Hello,
                            > >
                            > >I believe the more experienced members of the forum will be in a
                            better
                            > >position to assist you if they had a clue to as to the exact or
                            approximate
                            > >level of the head and flow.
                            > >

                            > >Philip
                            > >

                            > > _____

                          • eas_mas
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 9, 2006
                              Hallo everbody,

                              I am curious about characteristic microhydro (i.e. 10/20/30 kW,
                              particulary during:
                              - ramp up (i.e. from 5 kW to 10 kW) and ramp down operation (30 kW
                              down to 20 kW) and how fast the transition time ?
                              - also during start up operation.

                              when someone has this data,whould you like to share to me ?

                              kind regards,
                              Awan
                            • Mike Barnett
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                                Awan, I would think this data is HIGHLY site specific and cannot be given as
                                a "hard and fast" rule!

                                Mike
                                JAMAICA

                                > I am curious about characteristic microhydro (i.e. 10/20/30 kW,
                                > particulary during:
                                > - ramp up (i.e. from 5 kW to 10 kW) and ramp down operation (30 kW
                                > down to 20 kW) and how fast the transition time ?
                                > - also during start up operation.
                                >
                                > when someone has this data,whould you like to share to me ?
                                >
                                > kind regards,
                                > Awan
                                >

                                > Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
                                > http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
                                > charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
                                >
                                > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
                                > provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not
                                > endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

                                > To unsubscribe: send empty message to
                                > microhydro-unsubscribe@...
                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Paul Draper
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                                  I would think an important factor no one has mentioned, besides the
                                  electrical considerations and water hammer, is what are the purely
                                  mechanical characteristics? What is the combined rotating mass of the
                                  turbine wheel and generator? What are the moments; a smaller diameter
                                  turbine or generator with the same mass as a larger one will ramp up faster.
                                  What are the friction loads? And of course, what is the electrical load on
                                  the generator during ramp up. I've played with my Eco Innovation Smart
                                  Drive, spinning it open circuit vs shorted; the electromechanical braking
                                  effect is enormous!