Re: [microhydro] kiss (keep it simple stupid) turbine

  • Vibhash
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 31, 2006
      please do it. it will be a great help to all of us who don't understand
      German.

      With best regards

      Vibhash

      --
      Regards

      Yours truly

      Vibhash Garg
      Chief Consultant
      Green Power Division
      MITCON Consultancy Services Ltd.
      Kubera Chambers, Shivajinagar,
      Pune � 411005, Maharashtra
      Tel - 91 20 25533309 / 25534322
      Fax - 91 20 25533206
      Cell - 91 9850764651
      Internet - www.mitconindia.com

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
        Andrew:

        The motor with its frequency, voltage and idle current are needed to
        determine ( calculate ) the capacitance values.
        Which You have not supplied at all.
        It is cheaper to get a generator than using an induction motor as an
        induction generator .

        After about 15 KW a generator is recommended.

        For larger motors as generators like a 200 or more LAW, the motors are
        normally connected to a GRID to add such power to the GRID.

        Of course One may have, let's say one 10 KW hydro system and have another
        let's say 70 KW systems near by that you need to put in service at minimum
        cost, in this case you may get an induction motor, like 100 to 150 KW and
        once the RPM is reached the small generator power is connected to the larger
        motor, this way the over all system may produce around 80 KW at low cost and
        by just regulating the smaller 10 KW hydro the larger motor is regulated.

        This is a basic connection that requires proper circuit protection and
        phasing of both systems

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
          hello all,

          tomorrow you may expect a summary of the article in english.
          it may not be linguistically perfect as english is not my native language,
          but it will be good enough.
          glad to be of help.

          hans

          --
          Regards

          Yours truly

          Vibhash Garg
          Chief Consultant
          Green Power Division
          MITCON Consultancy Services Ltd.
          Kubera Chambers, Shivajinagar,
          Pune - 411005, Maharashtra
          Tel - 91 20 25533309 / 25534322
          Fax - 91 20 25533206
          Cell - 91 9850764651
          Internet - www.mitconindia.com

          Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
          http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
          charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

          NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides
          us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse
          products or support the advertisements in any way.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Michael Welch
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
            Hi gang. I thought the Google translation did a great job, with most untranslatable stuff being unimportant (at least to me). The only thing that was missing in translation were the words that were part of the graphics.

            Seems unnecessary to go through the hassle of hand-translating that site.

            hdb wrote at 02:44 PM 09/01/2006:

            >hello all,
            >
            >tomorrow you may expect a summary of the article in english.
            >it may not be linguistically perfect as english is not my native language,
            >but it will be good enough.
            >glad to be of help.
            >
            >hans

          • hdb
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 2006
              michael,

              translating technical stuff and exactidude is quite a chore indeed
              if you say the google-translation is ok, most of us should be happy with that.
              whenever there is a need for further or more precise elucidation i am available, inasfar my capabilities go.

              with regards, hans

              Hi gang. I thought the Google translation did a great job, with most untranslatable stuff being unimportant (at least to me). The only thing that was missing in translation were the words that were part of the graphics.

              Seems unnecessary to go through the hassle of hand-translating that site.

              hdb wrote at 02:44 PM 09/01/2006:

              >hello all,
              >
              >tomorrow you may expect a summary of the article in english.
              >it may not be linguistically perfect as english is not my native language,
              >but it will be good enough.
              >glad to be of help.
              >
              >hans

            • Helmut Schlager
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 5, 2006
                hello group

                here is an english text about

                World novelty:
                "gravitation vortex
                hydropower unit"

                Technical data of pilot unit
                Utilised falling height: 1.4 m
                Flow rate: 1.3 m3/sec.
                Turbine speed: 27 r.p.m.
                Turbine and generator efficiency: 80 % each
                Transmission efficiency: 82 %
                Passage of floating matter up to 25 cm particle size
                Retention time of water set in motion in rotation
                tank: 20 sec. and more
                Total cost of prototype: € 55,000
                Expected upper limit of efficiency for a hydropower unit
                of this type: 200–300 kW (diameter of rotation tank:
                30 m). Total efficiency of larger units: 70–80 %

                The inventor originally sought to devise
                a simple but efficient aeration system
                for his swimming pond <http://www.swimming-teich.com/index_engl.html> .
                The outcome
                opens up new perspectives for energy
                supply and the environment
                In Obergrafendorf, Lower Austria, a completely
                new type of hydropower unit has been in
                operation since October 2005. Apart from
                producing eco-electricity, it is said to have several
                other advantages. With the completion of
                this small "gravitation vortex hydropower unit"
                (as it is called by its inventor) on a minor Austrian
                watercourse, the theoretical concept previously
                nominated for the NEPTUN 2005 Water
                Prize has come one big step closer to reality.
                The prototype, which has been partly financed
                by the local authorities and the Government of
                Lower Austria, produces enough power to provide
                about ten households with electricity. The
                energy produced is fed into the power grid of
                EVN AG, with VERBUND-Austrian Power Grid
                AG being the contractor.
                Inventor of the new technology is the electrical
                engineer Franz Zotlöterer (aged 38) from
                Obergrafendorf, who now teaches at the St.
                Pölten University of Applied Sciences. He explains
                how this novel technique works: "At a
                first glance, the unit resembles a small aeration
                tank (diameter 5.5 m, water level 120 cm) like
                the ones used in a wastewater treatment plant.
                At the centre of the tank is a water vortex into
                which a turbine (not yet built in when the picture
                was taken) is submersed. The turbine extracts
                rotational energy from the moving water, which
                it transfers to a generator. To achieve a maximum
                water vortex, very low falling heights
                in the range of 0.7 m to 5 m are needed."
                The water vortex fulfils yet another function
                in this new hydropower unit, which is the aeration
                of the water passing through. Zotlöterer
                explains that the hyperbolic funnel that is created
                enlarges the water surface as well as maximises
                the flow velocity of water on the surface.
                "These two factors produce an optimum gas
                exchange between water and air," he says.
                Conventional turbines tend to pose an ecological
                problem due to the big difference between
                turbine inlet and outlet pressure. The
                pressure difference makes it hard for many fish
                and other aquatic organisms to survive the passage
                and additionally destroys the microstructure
                of the water. Thanks to the newly developed
                turbine wheel (with its four slightly curved
                blades) these negative side effects are avoided.
                According to the inventor, this is caused by the
                moderate acceleration of the water. The slow
                rotation of the turbine wheel (27 r.p.m. in the
                pilot unit) ensures that the water flow is not
                disrupted but gently deflected from the rotation
                axis, which is also important for maintaining
                the water structure. In the larger of these hydropower
                units even lower rotation speeds are
                said to be possible. In any case, for the pilot
                unit authorities only require the installation of a
                coarse screen rake. Zotlöterer rates the efficiency
                of the new turbine wheel at 80 % for the
                Obergrafendorf hydropower unit, with a maximum
                95 % efficiency to be expected in larger
                units yet to be developed. In the latter also two
                rotation tanks in parallel may be used.
                Not only does this make the survival of fish
                alongside the flow direction of the water more
                likely; Franz Zotlöterer also expects that thanks
                to his technology even upstream fish migration
                aids will no longer be needed, and the water
                usually set aside for this purpose could instead
                be used for electricity generation. He believes
                that with a measured flow rate of 5 to 6 m/sec.
                the fish would in fact be in a position to overcome
                the vortex/turbine in the opposite direction
                to the water flow!
                The idea to use a continuous, strong vortex
                flow actually occurred to Franz Zotlöterer while
                trying to solve the inherent problems with water
                quality of the natural swimming pond he
                had set up in his own garden. He finally decided
                to build a small rotation basin to aerate the
                water – and it worked. He then began to think
                about other potential fields of application for
                his aeration concept: drinking water supply,
                wastewater treatment, electricity generation.
                Since water retention times of 20 seconds and
                more inside the pilot unit have been observed,
                this technology also seems to allow for a certain
                retention capacity with respect to floods.
                Especially so, if several of these units were set
                up alongside the tributaries of larger rivers.
                After having been granted several Austrian
                patents, Franz Zotlöterer is currently focussing
                on further basic research and setting up his
                company Wasserwirbeltechnik. Moreover, he is
                already working on his next gravitation vortex
                hydropower unit to be erected in Mariazell,
                Styria, in 2006/07.

              • Köhli Thomas
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Hello all

                  the patents you'll find under

                  http://v3.espacenet.com/results?DB=EPODOC&sf=q&IA=Zotloeterer&CY=ep&PGS=10&ST=quick&LG=de

                  have fun to read them

                  with best regards

                  thomas

                  --- Helmut Schlager <schlager@...> schrieb:

> [...]
                  > quality of the natural swimming pond he
                  > had set up in his own garden. He finally decided
                  > to build a small rotation basin to aerate the
                  > water – and it worked. He then began to think
                  > about other potential fields of application for
                  > his aeration concept: drinking water supply,
                  > wastewater treatment, electricity generation.
                  > Since water retention times of 20 seconds and
                  > more inside the pilot unit have been observed,
                  > this technology also seems to allow for a certain
                  > retention capacity with respect to floods.
                  > Especially so, if several of these units were set
                  > up alongside the tributaries of larger rivers.
                  > After having been granted several Austrian
                  > patents, Franz Zotlöterer is currently focussing
                  > on further basic research and setting up his
                  > company Wasserwirbeltechnik. Moreover, he is
                  > already working on his next gravitation vortex
                  > hydropower unit to be erected in Mariazell,

                • Philip Ggayi
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 7, 2006
                    Hello,

                    The organization that I work for has recently received offers for Stem
                    Pressure Machines (turbines). The technology (Austrian?) seems to have been
                    around for sometime but has only until recently been put into use. The
                    technology seems to be 'neat' but with the limited resources at our disposal
                    we need to be sure that it is sound.

                    I am writing therefore to get opinions from the members of the forum who
                    have experience with such technology on what they think about it.

                    Thanks,

                    Philip

                  • Conrad Wood

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 8, 2006
                        Hi Helmut!
                        Do you know the length of those turbin blades? Are the all the 1,4 m fall high long?
                        MFG Friend