micro hydro from a tidal river?

  • DaveHempstead
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Looking for a little help here. I've been searching micro hydro
      setups, but most seem to focus on streams with heads. I recently
      purchased a place on the Sheepscot river in Maine. It has tidal
      flow, up to 2 ft/sec when the tide is running, and goes to zero at
      ebb tides. My dock shows 17 ft of water depth at low tide, and
      probably sits 10-15 feet from shore.
      I don't expect my dock will hold a turbine, but I think I've got
      plenty of flow, here but very low velocity. (If I can make this
      work, I'd mount the turbine to the rocky shore or river bottom.

      I'd like to generate at least partial power for my home. I'd like to
      hope to get at least 500 watts peak, or preferably up to 2kw peak

      My primary question is: what kind of turbine would be best in this
      environment. Would I need a venturi type device to get higher
      velocities? Do any companies make turbines I could use here?

      I've not been able to find companies that develop a turbine for this
      application. Can anyone help?

      I'd like to try to purchase whatever components are available, and
      then do the fabrication/construction of what I cannot purchase.

      If I've got enough water power here to harness, using an available
      technology, then I can research the electrical side of things, and
      of course the regulations (I have read of a couple of tidal hydro
      power experiments being worked on at the commercial level to
      investigate powering cities in the Maine/NH area)

      Thanks,
      Dave
    • Dennis Buller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hey Dave,
        I have been researching a new way to create power from undershot waterwheels. The new concept is to take high volume/low pressure water convert it into pressurized water and then run it through a turbine.
        This takes the best characteristics of a waterwheel (being able to capture the power of a large volume of water cheaply) with the best characteristics of a turbine (high efficiency at generator speeds) . It works with almost no wearable parts.
        Take a look at http://WildWaterPower.com<http://wildwaterpower.com/>
        -Dennis
[...]

        Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory<http://microhydropower.net/directory> ? If not, please register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

        NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

        More information on micro hydropower at http://microhydropower.net<http://microhydropower.net/>

        SPONSORED LINKS Energy management<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+management&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+efficiency&c=6&s=125&.sig=75JSK0pk_6YPSvrqnGJjuA> Energy gels<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+gels&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+efficiency&c=6&s=125&.sig=kqE73HdOH24uCELVdLTccA> Energy conservation home<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+conservation+home&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+efficiency&c=6&s=125&.sig=bfu0-qpq8lvbFKej6u8p_Q>
        Energy savings<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+savings&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+efficiency&c=6&s=125&.sig=p_wKf36EaI03cR9z9nslcA> Energy<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+efficiency&c=6&s=125&.sig=VxjvTsHrQcleZRmBa_Uxng> Energy efficiency<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Energy+efficiency&w1=Energy+management&w2=Energy+gels&w3=Energy+conservation+home&w4=Energy+savings&w5=Energy&w6=Energy+efficiency&c=6&s=125&.sig=CBalXuoBwpAIKu1whhzP4Q>

      • Conrad Wood
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
          Did you try www.verdantpower.com ?
          Let us know what they have to offer.
          Cheers, Conrad.

          Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

          NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

          Energy management Energy gels Energy conservation home Energy savings Energy Energy efficiency

        • dimitar partenov
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2006
            The tide power is not appropriate for extraction due to low speed of water. For example to extract 500 W from tide with speed of 2 ft/s you need from turbine with diameter 12 ft. If you use wind turbine with diameter 12 ft and wind speed of 25 ft/s you will get 1000W.
            D. Partenov

[...]

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Visit your group "microhydro" on the web.