Re: [microhydro] NOAA helps remove old dams

  • Beeuwkes
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2005
      A little more RE: Greenhouse gas production by hydro dams.

      I followed up on the "A rather balanced view..." that appeared here recently
      and which was largely based on a New Scientist article. The article does
      admit that CO2 would spike only initially but goes on to say:
      ------------------------
      "Seasonal changes in water depth mean there is a continuous supply of
      decaying material. In the dry season plants colonize the banks of the
      reservoir only to be engulfed when the water level rises. For
      shallow-shelving reservoirs these "drawdown" regions can account for several
      thousand square kilometres.
      In effect man-made reservoirs convert carbon dioxide in the atmosphere into
      methane. This is significant because methane's effect on global warming is
      21 times stronger than carbon dioxide's."

      http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7046
      --------------------------
      I have to admit that this concern for methane may have legitimacy. I live
      next to a man-made bog here in Maine and it is on this bog with its 8 meter
      head that I wish to install a micro-hydro unit. All summer the bog chokes up
      with masses of weeds and pond lilies. In the Autumn it all dies and sinks to
      the bottom. By January the water going over the dam releases putrid gasses
      from plant decay and minnows that apparently die from the anaerobic
      conditions.
      We who believe so much in the practicality of hydropower as renewable energy
      will have very red faces if it is really true that methane produced from
      some hydroprojects could actually accelerate the greenhouse gas problem. I
      believe that this potential for methane is primarily applicable to very
      shallow reservoirs, but there could be concern from algae precipitating.
      After all was it not this accumulation of ocean algae (diatoms etc) that is
      the source of petroleum today? But this must be continuing in all lakes and
      oceans and somehow Nature has adapted. No one is proposing to drain the
      worlds great lakes... I hope!
      --------------------------------

      In the comments that NOAA helps to remove old dams, I also found this about
      NOAA's administrator, CONRAD C. LAUTENBACHER. For those not familiar with
      NOAA, it runs the massive US weather service and, well everything to do with
      ocean resources. Lautenbacher sent an open letter to the US Congress part of
      which is:

      "May 14, 2004

      Dear Member of Congress:

      I am writing to inform you about the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
      Administration¹s (NOAA) upcoming proposals to renew listings of Northwest
      salmon populations under the Endangered Species Act ...
      At President Bush¹s direction, recovery of salmon is the major focus for
      NOAA in the Pacific Northwest, an objective widely shared in the region and
      the nation. We have been pleased to work with you and Congress to direct
      over $100 million of NOAA¹s budget, and hundreds of millions more from other
      federal agencies to the cause of salmon recovery this year alone. These
      substantial resources are enabling the hard work of countless communities to
      improve hundreds of miles of fish habitat, to enhance fish passage to the
      habitat, and to rebuild fish stocks in order to re-establish sustainable
      natural salmon populations...."

      see: http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/releases2004/may04/noaa04-r910a.html
      ------------------------------
      In march of 2004 I (Chris) submitted an essay to a newspaper here in Maine
      that concluded:

      "What is bothersome to me is that I believe that most of the proponents for
      dam removal are people whose primary motivation is to expand opportunities
      for their recreational passion of fishing migratory species. Clearly they
      have no intention of stopping their efforts with [removal of] dams on the
      Penobscot. The Fort Halifax dam in Winslow appears lost; the demise of
      hundreds of others are in the planning. These anglers and well-meaning
      conservationists are educated, politically organized and have deep pockets.
      I know some of them personally. But do they love their sport so much that it
      clouds a broader view? The result of hydroelectric dam removal will mean
      millions of additional tons of carbon dioxide, acid rain precursors, and
      other pollutants released by the inevitable alternative: combustion of coal,
      natural gas and oil. It¹s that simple."
    • Frank Leslie
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2005
        Chris,

        Good research! I always enjoy the results where someone diligently
        investigates and posts the results. That's so much better than a meaningless
        "Me, too" or "I don't think so".

        "What do you bet that President Bush, Mr Cheney et al.. and maybe Mr.
        Lautenbacher are are all avid salmon fishermen..."

        Pres. Bush is encouraging big nuclear to replace gas and oil before a
        National economic crisis occurs. That's about the only place enough hydrogen
        can be electrolized to replace transportation fuel. In the meanwhile, many
        more polluting coal plants will be built. The moneyed elite isn't going to
        stand for wind turbines cluttering up their "viewscapes" unless they can
        make still more money from them.

        The saying "All politics is local" isn't geographic, but means the
        individual voter chooses what he thinks is in his personal best interest,
        ignoring the big picture and everyone else.

        Frank

[...]

        Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
        http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
        charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

        NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
        provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not
        endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

        To unsubscribe: send empty message to
        microhydro-unsubscribe@...

        Service.