Re: [microhydro] microhydro powered Internet Cafe

  • Max Klohn
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      Dear Ron,

      While not having a formal Internet Cafe, we live in an isolated
      outpost with a satellite link, so we frequently operate like such.
      We have a battery charger (pelton runner and delco remy alternator,
      trojan T105s and a 900 W sine-wave inverter). Power generation is
      550 W (daily 13.2 KWh), with that we run two houses with
      energy-efficient lighting, the usual fridges and washing
      machines (the latter ones within time slots), small tools, plus
      the telecom gear, a local wireless network and a couple of laptops.

      IMHO the main caveats with this kind of setup would be:
      * If power is limited, use laptops, desktop computers tend to suck a
      great deal more power.
      * If power comes from an inverter, be sure it is a true sine-wave one.
      "quasi-sinusoidal" and chopped waves tend to overheat power supplies and
      cause them to fail prematurely.

      In another subject I am interested in your bronze runners: pricing,
      sizes, features (monobloc, soldered, bolted, polished etc) for several
      small projects in southern Chile. Could you please send me some more
      information?

      Greetings,

      Max Klohn

      Le mercredi 28 septembre 2005 à 09:50 -0700, davis ron a écrit :
      > Dear Group,
      >
      > Recently a fellow from rural Peru bought a
      > Watermotor to power his Internet cafe in a remote area
      > of the country. There are vast areas of Peru and
      > Bolivia that do not have grid access, and may have
      > even less in the future as installation prices rise.
      > Does anyone have some experience in using microhydro
      > to run an Internet cafe? Are there Internet sites
      > dealing with this issue?
      >
      > Ron Davis watermotor.net

    • Jennifer Stephenson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        Hi Max ...

        I am interested in your specs for a client of mine. Can you tell me the
        head, flow rate, penstock length and size of pipe you have?

        Thanks, Jen

        While not having a formal Internet Cafe, we live in an isolated
        outpost with a satellite link, so we frequently operate like such.
        We have a battery charger (pelton runner and delco remy alternator,
        trojan T105s and a 900 W sine-wave inverter). Power generation is
        550 W (daily 13.2 KWh), with that we run two houses with
        energy-efficient lighting, the usual fridges and washing
        machines (the latter ones within time slots), small tools, plus
        the telecom gear, a local wireless network and a couple of laptops.

        IMHO the main caveats with this kind of setup would be:
        * If power is limited, use laptops, desktop computers tend to suck a
        great deal more power.
        * If power comes from an inverter, be sure it is a true sine-wave one.
        "quasi-sinusoidal" and chopped waves tend to overheat power supplies and
        cause them to fail prematurely.

        In another subject I am interested in your bronze runners: pricing,
        sizes, features (monobloc, soldered, bolted, polished etc) for several
        small projects in southern Chile. Could you please send me some more
        information?

        Greetings,

        Max Klohn

        Le mercredi 28 septembre 2005 à 09:50 -0700, davis ron a écrit :
        > Dear Group,
        >
        > Recently a fellow from rural Peru bought a
        > Watermotor to power his Internet cafe in a remote area
        > of the country. There are vast areas of Peru and
        > Bolivia that do not have grid access, and may have
        > even less in the future as installation prices rise.
        > Does anyone have some experience in using microhydro
        > to run an Internet cafe? Are there Internet sites
        > dealing with this issue?
        >
        > Ron Davis watermotor.net

        Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
        http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
        charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

        NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides
        us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse
        products or support the advertisements in any way.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mark Nagel
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          If you're looking to reduce power consumption on individuals' computing devices the following might be of interest.

          From MIT:
          http://laptop.media.mit.edu/

          Sub-$100 laptop design unveiled

          -Mark Nagel
          Everett, WA

          =====================
          From: Max Klohn <amk@...>
          Date: Sat Oct 01 07:07:32 CDT 2005
          To: microhydro@yahoogroups.com

[...]

          Le mercredi 28 septembre 2005 ? 09:50 -0700, davis ron a ?crit :
          >?? Dear Group,
          >
          >??? Recently a fellow from rural Peru bought a
          > Watermotor to power his Internet cafe in a remote area
          > of the country. There are vast areas of Peru and
          > Bolivia that do not have grid access, and may have
          > even less in the future as installation? prices rise.
          >?? Does anyone have some experience in using microhydro
          > to run an Internet cafe? Are there Internet sites
          > dealing with this issue?
          >?
          >?? Ron Davis watermotor.net?

          Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

          NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          ?Visit your group "<a href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/microhydro">microhydro</a>" on the web.
          ? ?To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          ? ?Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        • Max Klohn
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
            Hi Jen,

            Here's the specs:
            Head is about 120 meters. I measure 12 bar at the turbine.
            The tubing is 550 meters of 2-inch HDP (high pressure),
            should be good to carry up to 4 l/s without too much loss.
            The length of tubing is NOT related to engineering constraints, but
            property limits.
            It uses 1.7 l/s from a streamlet that runs at about 5-10 l/s in summer
            there is a single nozzle, 8 mmm diameter.
            At the intake, the water passes through a mesh and then
            particles allowed to decant on two successive 200 liter oil drums.
            This has worked very well.
            Yes the efficiency of alternators is typically low, but they are
            available even in junk yards. If I wanted more energy I'd go for a
            bigger nozzle (this runner allows up to 10 mm diameter) and eventually a
            PMA or an induction motor run as generator.

            Cheers,

            M.