Re: [microhydro] Effective water flow calculation

  • Hugh Piggott
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2005
      Mihai,

      I think the others have explained how to calculate the pressure drop
      in pipes with different flow rates.

      One thing you maybe did not understand is that the pipe has to be
      sized much bigger than would be needed just to carry the water. If
      you work out how much water the pipe can carry when it uses up all
      the pressure just to carry it then this will not be so useful. You
      want most of the pressure to be still there when you get to the
      turbine. (The remaining pressure known as net head is what produces
      the power.)

      The flow is controlled by the turbine (by the nozzle size usually)
      and not the penstock pipe. The pipe needs to be big enough that it
      can deliver that flow without losing too much pressure. Obviously
      the nozzle affects the water flow in the pipe quite dramatically but
      without that you will get no power. You will get a lot more water
      flowing through the pipe if it is just wide open at the end, but all
      the pressure is wasted in pushing the water through the pipe and it
      emerges with no useful power.

      For a given pipe, and if you have plenty of water, then the most
      power you can get is by limiting the flow so that 1/3 of the pressure
      is dropped in the pipe and 2/3 in the turbine. If you use less water
      you will get more pressure but less power. If you use more water you
      will get less pressure and less power.

      I hope this helps.

      Hugh

      --