Re: New installation of a micro hydro generator 4 KW

  • allenderd
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2005
      --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, "vvvffernhurstsuzi" <jrainone@s...>
      wrote:
      > The property has a spring fed dam which in summer months, water flows
      > at about 1 litre per second and in winter months at 15 litres per
      second. From the spring fed dam to the lower part of the property
      > which is located about 150 meters away the head is 33 meters.
      John
      In Summer, the theoretical power available is 330W, and in winter is
      4950 watts. In practice, you can probably achieve 200W and 3000w output
      after allowing for all losses. I suggest you check out the following
      sites. www.microhydropower.com and www.ecoinn.co.nz
      David
      www.OffTheGrid.co.uk
    • Simpson, Robert
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2005
        Hello,

        A simple google search should turn up some companies and units you can purchase. You'll probably want an Aussie supplier like http://www.planetarypower.com.au/ or http://www.rpc.com.au/. A turgo or pelton turbine sounds like the go for your site but I'm not sure about switching systems.

        Keep in mind that if you want 4kW electrical output, and assuming an overall system efficiency of 60% then you'll need approx. 21 l/s of water running through it for a head of 33m. So, there may not be much 'switching on' during summer, only 1/21th of the time based on your 1 l/s figure (one hour per day as a rough calculation). You may think of a slightly smaller unit (might be a bit cheaper) that runs continuously during the winter months based on your 15 l/s figure and then the switching kicks in if you get a flow rate lower than this figure. The electrical output would then be more like: 15x33x9.8x0.6=2.9kW, but you'll need to check the system efficiencies, heads and flow rates of the products on the market.

        regards
        Robert Simpson

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
          why we cant use small alternator with charge controller for his purposes? I
          mean about vehicle alternator with battery bank.

          voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

          microhydro-unsubscribe@...
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jeffe & Carrie Aronson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2005
            Hey John...we're in the same area (tho travelling in the States at present
            until end of Sept...)....look us up, we have a low head unit on the Bundara
            river near the Mitta Mitta in Anglers Rest...

            Jeffe Aronson
            03-5159-7252
            jeffe@...

            Cheers...Jeffe

            On 6/18/05 8:36 PM, "vvvffernhurstsuzi" <jrainone@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            > I am a new member, my background is in electrical engineering.
            > I have recently purchased a rural property in the High country of
            > North East Victoria, Australia. There is no power on the property.
            > The property has a spring fed dam which in summer months, water flows
            > at about 1 litre per second and in winter months at 15 litres per
            > second. From the spring fed dam to the lower part of the property
            > which is located about 150 meters away the head is 33 meters.
            > I'm looking at installing piping from the spring fed dam to a hydro
            > generator of approx 4 Kw, 3 phase power 415Volt, 50 Hz. I will use
            > automation to switch the generator off and on depending of the water
            > level of the dam. The electrical power generated will be rectified to
            > DC to charge batteries and then inverters used to convert to
            > household power for continual use. The excess electrical energy will
            > be used to pump water to higher levels of the property.
            > I can take care of the batteries, chargers, inverters and pump but I
            > need some assistance on selecting a hydro generator that can be
            > switched on and off regularly and piping installation. Can someone
            > recommend a suitable system that I can purchase
            >
            > Regards
            > John Rainone
            >

            > Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
            > http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of charge
            > and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
            >
            > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides
            > us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse
            > products or support the advertisements in any way.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • dimitar partenov
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2005
              Becouse the parametars of water flow are very small
              for such generator ( 4 kW), you can use even smaller
              generator
              --- Vidura Sampath <vidura.sampath@...>

            • Robert Lucas
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2005
                You are trying to accomplish the same relative problem that I am. I have a spring that yields about 1.7 litrs./sec. I have 80' of fall from the spring to the lower lot line. It is 102 'above the spring to the top of the lot. I hope to raise water to a storage tank at the top with the use of "ram pumps" which are hydralically driven by the spring flow. ( See Rife Pumps.com) ( they are unresponsive to their web customer contact page so suggest you contact them outside of their web page) For turbins and systems contact info@solutions for power.com Jose is very helpful Good Luck and stay intouch. Bob Lucas
                dimitar partenov <partenov@...> wrote: Becouse the parametars of water flow are very small
                wrote:

                > why we cant use small alternator with charge
                > controller for his purposes? I
                > mean about vehicle alternator with battery bank.

                Energy Science Microhydro Energy drink Energy healing Energy star

                ---------------------------------

              • eilremfernandez
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 12, 2005
                  I have several microhydro installations in the Philippines that have
                  the same problem. Some sites are equipped with flow controllers so
                  that the turbine could operate at reduced capacity during the summer
                  season, abeit with lower overall efficiency. Sites equipped with a
                  storage weir/dam have the the option to operate at full capacity
                  during nighttime and conserve water during daytime.

                  Using a good pelton runner capable of handling 1" dia jet and a
                  minimum penstock diameter of 4" (6" is recommended, but might be too
                  expensive), you can get at least 3kW of net power from your system
                  when operating at 15L/s during winter. Then, you just operate your
                  system for about an hour daily during the summer season. This way,
                  you
                  maximizes the benefits during winter and optimizes the efficiency of
                  the system during summer.