Re: [microhydro] Digest Number 1150

  • pvlnewman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29 12:40 PM
      microhydro@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Well, I went to 3 dictionaries and 4 electronic ones but could not define
      > what LEAT is , so please kindly let me know the meaning.

      A leat is an artificial watercourse that takes water from say a river and
      conveys it to a point where it can be used - the most typical application was to
      drive a waterwheel in a mine. I think the word is common here in south west
      England. I have recently been tracing the course of a leat across Dartmoor (a
      large area of unspoilt land in western England). The leat was made in 1480 and
      can be traced for almost 10 km. In some places there is still water lying in
      the leat.

      Perran Newman

    • Frank Leslie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2005
        A little late, but try Google first on these puzzlers. Knowing "leat" and
        they were discussing water,

        http://www.google.com/search?q=LEAT+water&hl=en&lr=lang_en&rls=GGLD%2CGGLD%3
        A2004-07%2CGGLD%3Aen&biw=

        which yields 123, 000 pages. The first has

        "
        About Dartmoor ... which carried the leat water from the head weir and
        around an outcrop of ... secured a forty-two year lease to continue drawing
        leat water legally. ...
        www.corboy.co.uk/drakes_leat.html - 43k - Cached - Similar pages

        Plymouth, Water Supply (Plymouth Leat) (Drake's Leat) Plymouth's fresh
        ewater supply came by means of the Plymouth or Drake's Leat.
        www.plymouthdata.info/WaterSupply.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

        Horner Mill, History and Conversion details Extensive repairs to the
        existing mill leat, and the addition of a new 150 ... of the leat wall
        adjacent to the river collapsed returning all water to the ...
        www.hornermill.co.uk/about.html - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

        South West Water: A big dam job! ... Plymouth Corporation abandoned the old
        Drake's Leat water supply to the city ... Although Sir Francis Drake's 18
        miles long leat had served Plymouth for ...
        www.swwater.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=240 - 17k - Cached - Similar
        pages

        Wheal Betsy

        The Reddaford Leat was built around 1800 to bring water to the mines
        at Mary Tavy. ... Sometimes it seems as though the leat water is running
        uphill - an ...
        www.richkni.co.uk/dartmoor/betsy.htm - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

        "

        Google is so marveous!

        Frank

        > Well, I went to 3 dictionaries and 4 electronic ones but could not
        define
        > what LEAT is , so please kindly let me know the meaning.

        A leat is an artificial watercourse that takes water from say a river and
        conveys it to a point where it can be used - the most typical application
        was to
        drive a waterwheel in a mine. I think the word is common here in south
        west
        England. I have recently been tracing the course of a leat across
        Dartmoor (a
        large area of unspoilt land in western England). The leat was made in 1480
        and
        can be traced for almost 10 km. In some places there is still water lying
        in
        the leat.

        Perran Newman

        Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
        http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
        charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

        NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
        provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not
        endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

        To unsubscribe: send empty message to
        microhydro-unsubscribe@...