Long distance hydro

  • chipbb03254
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
      I have a potential micro hydro site in central New Hampshire. The particulars of my site
      are: a 40'± head, a flow rate between 20 GPM and 100 GPM, and a distance of 2500'±
      between the wheel and the home. I have gotten some good advice so far but can always
      use more. Penstock materials/wheel types/generators/batteries etc.??? Is there anyone
      within a 50 mile radius of Moultonboro, NH that has a system up and running and would
      like to share it with me?
      Thanks
      Chip
    • H2MJD
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
        Hi Chip,

        I'm in Orford NH (about a 50 min drive from you) and have been generating power since 1983 via my hydro plant......would be happy to share my experiences with you..........Mark
        I have a potential micro hydro site in central New Hampshire. The particulars of my site
        are: a 40'± head, a flow rate between 20 GPM and 100 GPM, and a distance of 2500'±
        between the wheel and the home. I have gotten some good advice so far but can always
        use more. Penstock materials/wheel types/generators/batteries etc.??? Is there anyone
        within a 50 mile radius of Moultonboro, NH that has a system up and running and would
        like to share it with me?
        Thanks
        Chip

        Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

        NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
          Chip:

          Please report what you call good advice and what you think or you plan to
          use and why.
          It is best for you to inform so you clear any point that could be logical
          for you but not good for the final "setup".

          Regards

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • chipbb03254
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
            Nando,
            The best advice I've gotten thus far is from you,, on a different site. The following is what
            you wrote: { I DO NOT SUGGEST A PELTON, a Vertical Turgo is a possibility.
            You need a carefull analysis -- 460 to 90 watts (real around 430 to 60 Watts).
            My suggestion is a high voltage generator, 240 Volts AC like a 1.5 HP induction motor as a
            generator, or a PM 3 phase brushless Smart Drive motor from Fisher & Paykel with two set
            ups, DELTA for high power and STAR for low power and transformers at the load to bring
            the voltage to the charger ( I suggest a C40) }
            You suggested a BANKI at one point. Whats the difference between it and a Vertical
            Turgo;;; I gather a pelton is not practical for this application.
            Thanks
            Chip

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
              Chip:
              Pelton not good for 40 feet ( 12 meters) head.
              The head is low making the Pelton in-efficient
              With the banki and 20 GPM ( 1.26 liter/second) You need a very careful
              design for it to work properly.
              Banki nozzles for this 1.26 liters arrangements plus the need to have a belt
              to increase the RPM may suffer additional power losses.

              With a Turgo, placed vertically, you can attach it to the generator directly
              that should have very low cogging, like a regular induction motor as a
              generator.

              See a photo of what you could have in the site of Joe Hartvigsen
              http://h-hydro.com, installation that he did on the run (emergency more or
              less) for his father farm in Utah, it is a 2 KW, I believe, I have not
              visited the Web site in sometime so I may be wrong.

              You could get a Turgo from him cut to your needs at a very good price and
              then you need an induction motor with some capacitors ( I can calculate them
              for you) to convert the motor into an AC generator ( get one 240 volts) and
              at the load side you can use a transformer to convert to battery voltage
              with a good charger as I told you before then you add a simple ( ELC)
              Electronic Level Controller to limit the voltage when the generator is
              unloaded.

              These photos show you a simple way for a Hydro
              http://www.geocities.com/turgo_gen/turgo_drive.html
              http://www.geocities.com/turgo_gen/turgoframe.pdf
              http://www.geocities.com/turgo_gen/splash.pdf

              Regards

              The best advice I've gotten thus far is from you,, on a different site. The
              following is what
              you wrote: { I DO NOT SUGGEST A PELTON, a Vertical Turgo is a possibility.
              You need a carefull analysis -- 460 to 90 watts (real around 430 to 60
              Watts).
              My suggestion is a high voltage generator, 240 Volts AC like a 1.5 HP
              induction motor as a
              generator, or a PM 3 phase brushless Smart Drive motor from Fisher & Paykel
              with two set
              ups, DELTA for high power and STAR for low power and transformers at the
              load to bring
              the voltage to the charger ( I suggest a C40) }
              You suggested a BANKI at one point. Whats the difference between it and a
              Vertical
              Turgo;;; I gather a pelton is not practical for this application.
              Thanks
              Chip

              --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, "Nando" <nando37@c...> wrote:

              > Chip:
              >
              > Please report what you call good advice and what you think or you plan to
              > use and why.
              > It is best for you to inform so you clear any point that could be logical
              > for you but not good for the final "setup".
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Nando

            • himani goyal
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2005
                Dear all
                I need to find out the time constant range for
                Servomotors used for small hydro power plants.The
                transfer function of which goes like this:
                = [( 1+ sT1)]/[(1+sT2)(1+sT3)]

                Can anyone help me in this.........
                With best regards
                Himani

                Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
              • David Green
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
                  Nando,

                  What do think of a vertical Turgo with 62 feet of head and 1000 gpm? I am
                  using a Pelton because it will handle 1.5" jets.

                  David