[microhydro] national net-metering law

  • Mary Hamilton
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 1999
      U.S. Representative Jay Inslee from Washington State has introduced a
      national net-metering bill (HR 2947)This bill is designed after the
      Washington state bill except that the authors decided to leave out hydro
      and add fuel cells and biomass. I'm bringing this up in case anyone in
      this group is interested in contacting their state representative and
      asking that hydro be included as a renewable energy. This bill has many
      committees and votes ahead of it so let's get our input in now.
      For a copy of the bill contact Inslee's office staffperson
      brian.bonlender@... .
      Small hydro when done correctly needn't impact the environment in the
      same ways that the large dams on the Columbia do. There is so much
      potential for good, clean, renewable power out there that we need to
      speak up now in defense of small, run of the river hydro.
      #1 non-consumptive use
      #2 dispersed generation
      #3 totally renewable
      #4 low environmental impact (trenching for pipe, powerhouse,
      manufacturing of the turbine and pipe and components.
      #5 long life expectancy compared to all other technologies
      # relatively low initial cost
      Please feel free to use these points along with your own thoughts when
      contacting your congressman.

      I've also argued strongly for renewables having the right to use the
      transmission lines in net-metering without a KWH charge (which has been
      bandied about and would kill net-metering). The arguments for that are
      that
      #1 dispersed generation doesn't transmit very far before it is used.
      #2 Since much of the land that transmission lines cross was condemned
      in the national interest, it is now in the national interest to allow
      renewables free access to the grid (which has all been paid for by the
      rate payers as the cost of transmission is all rate based).
      #3 With international pressure on the U.S. mounting in regards to our
      part in Global Warming and our failure so far to even acknowledge it
      much less do something about it, we have an opportunity to encourage
      renewables by giving free access to the transmission lines to
      net-meterers who are producing under 100KW (as stated in the bill)
      Thanks for helping! Mary at Solar Plexus
    • jiva@humboldt1.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 1999
        mary hamilton <solple-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/microhydro/?start=549
        > U.S. Representative Jay Inslee from Washington State has introduced a
        > national net-metering bill (HR 2947)This bill is designed after the
        > Washington state bill except that the authors decided to leave out
        hydro
        > and add fuel cells and biomass.

        Interesting that micro-hydro would be left out ... someone must be
        lobbying against it. Possibly more palatable if there are specific
        limits on the size of the unit?

        > I've also argued strongly for renewables having the right to use the
        > transmission lines in net-metering without a KWH charge (which has
        been
        > bandied about and would kill net-metering). The arguments for that are
        > that

        PG&E started listing the bill split into various components ..
        apparently
        as part of de-regulation and apparenlty to help kill small producers.
        The actual cost of electricity is a small percentange of the bill now
        and as you mention and i'd presumed ... they can also get the little
        guy for 'transportation'.

        Of course our legislators will help us out on this. For example .. they
        showed who's who by mandating a 10% discount on monthly bills in
        california,
        and my share of the user fee to finance this discount is larger than
        the 10% savings. That will show 'em!