Inverters

  • rob doyle
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2004
      Hi All
      Thanks to Michael Lawley at Ecoinnovation I'm now
      generating power.
      The next step is the inverter.
      I was thinking of an inverter in the 2 to 2.5Kw range.
      I want to run a computer as well as the usual
      household items.
      Is a pure sine wave inverter essential or would a
      modified square wave do just as well.
      The inverter will be working from 24v to 220v ac.
      I would like to get as good quality inverter as I have
      found the small inverters seem to give a lot of
      trouble.
      What recommendations?
      Rob

    • Douglas B Rupp
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2004
        I ran my computers for years on modified square wave inverters, with no problems. I've heard dire warnings about laser printers though, for that I had a supplemental online true SW UPS. I did have problems with cheap electronics like timers (for turning your Xmas lights on and off), also lights with a motion detector, and mouse insanisizers (the gadgets that are supposed to make a high frequency noise to drive way rodents). Junk like that would usually only last a few days on modified square wave. The worst (e.g. $$$) trouble was that my SW UPS blew out after about 2 years of use, and then the replacement after about two weeks. I think that was a grounding problem though, and not necessarily related to the inverters.

        --Douglas
        Is a pure sine wave inverter essential or would a
        modified square wave do just as well.

      • Frank Fowler
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2004
          Rob,
          My choice of inverter would be the OutBack series. Either the FX, or VFX
          model.
          The guys at OutBack have done a fine job of creating this wonderful piece of
          equipment!
          > Thanks to Michael Lawley at Ecoinnovation I'm now
          > generating power.
          > The next step is the inverter.
          > I was thinking of an inverter in the 2 to 2.5Kw range.
          > I want to run a computer as well as the usual
          > household items.
          > Is a pure sine wave inverter essential or would a
          > modified square wave do just as well.
          > The inverter will be working from 24v to 220v ac.
          > I would like to get as good quality inverter as I have
          > found the small inverters seem to give a lot of
          > trouble.
          > What recommendations?
          > Rob

          > Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
          > http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
          > charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
          >
          > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
          > provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not
          > endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

          > To unsubscribe: send empty message to
          > microhydro-unsubscribe@...
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Carlos Bonifetti
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
            Dear Rob:

            I can give you the Marc Mc Monigal e-mail, but I must find it first....I was looking for it and my first trial in my PC fails. Give me some time meanwhile.
            He have a PowerPal model MHG-500 LH microturbine joined to a battery charger and 2,5 kW inverter & batteries for his cottage in Pucon, Villarrica Lake, Chile, for give you his experience directly.
            This one goes with copy to David Seymour, APR, Victoria, Canada. David can have Marc's e-mail in his files.

            Regards,

            Carlos E. Bonifetti
            MTF LTDA.

            MTF LTDA. SINCE 1976

            A TC Group Enterprise "Tecnologies for your Confort"

            HVAC
            HEATING - VENTILATING - AIR CONDITIONING
            BOILERS - INDUSTRIAL FANS & BLOWERS

            RENEWABLE ENERGIES
            MICRO HYDROPOWER PLANTS 5kW - 90kW
            PELTON & FRANCIS TURBINES GCZ 100 kW TO 10 MW www.gczingenieros.com

            MICROHYDROPOWER GENERATORS "PowerPal" 200W/ 500W/1000W www.powerpal.com
            DEEP CHARGE BATTERIES "TROJAN" AND "YUASA"

            C&C ELECTRONIC GOVERNORS

            J. M. García 298 - Tel. (56 41) 38 2360 / 38 2736 - Fax (56 41) 38 2751- mtf@... - Concepción - CHILE

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Eric Youngren
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 9, 2004
              Rob,

              I'm a big fan of the Outback Power FX series inverters.
              www.outbackpower.com

              I have one at my house and I've installed a dozen or so for off-grid
              customers in the past two years and they are all working flawlessly. The
              sealed version is housed in a gasketed, die cast aluminum housing, making it
              impervious to moisture, dust and bugs - the biggest causes of inverter
              failures. They have a nearly perfect sine wave output, which may not be
              essential for most lights, motors and appliances, but it sure is nice to not
              have to worry about it when I plug in a new battery charger or electronic
              device that might not like a modified square wave. They will surge to more
              than twice their rated output. They can be stacked in series or parallel
              for more voltage or amps, or even 3 phase. They have a remote interface
              that can control multiple inverters. Plus, their balance of system
              components - enclosures for DC and AC circuit breakers and wiring, make for
              nice looking, clean installations.

              Outback is a relatively new company started by a group of former Trace
              engineers who all left Trace after that company was acquired by the Xantrex
              corporation. These are the guys that designed most of the inverters and
              charge controllers that made Trace a leader in the RE power electronics
              industry, including the SW series inverters. Plus they are nice people and
              truly proud of the products they make. It is nice to know that if you have
              a technical problem and call Outback, you will likely speak with an engineer
              who actually designed the equipment in question. That is just not the case
              at most of the other tech support lines.

              I hope that helps!
              Eric

              > Thanks to Michael Lawley at Ecoinnovation I'm now
              > generating power.
              > The next step is the inverter.
              > I was thinking of an inverter in the 2 to 2.5Kw range.
              > I want to run a computer as well as the usual
              > household items.
              > Is a pure sine wave inverter essential or would a
              > modified square wave do just as well.
              > The inverter will be working from 24v to 220v ac.
              > I would like to get as good quality inverter as I have
              > found the small inverters seem to give a lot of
              > trouble.
              > What recommendations?
              > Rob

              > Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
              http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
              charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

              > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
              provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not
              endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

              > To unsubscribe: send empty message to
              microhydro-unsubscribe@...
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • susankaveny1
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7 8:09 AM
                As long as you're on the topic of electronics here, as opposed to strictly mechanical issues, I have another question. I want to know why no one has standardized inverters for grid tied solar/ wind/ small hydro systems.

                The backround for this question is that in the 70s I worked as a phone installer. During this time, the telephone company lost it's monopoly as a utility. During the same time, someone came up with a standard phone jack. You wouldn't think this little invention would have a huge impact but it did. Just because it was standardized, all the new homes built began to be prewired for phones in just about every room.

                Phones themselves began to be sold for something like $5. The earlier ones were $30 to $80 and had to be installed individually by the company, which tried to keep the cost under $100. Most of what we were fixing or replacing then was from the 20s and 30s. If you looked at it mean, it broke. Most houses had a single phone. By the 80s, most houses had three or more phones and they were portable, being able to be plugged into different areas as the need arose. These $5 phones were a much lower quality than the previously used Western Electric and Bell phones, but they worked.

                I think that the main impediment to use of alternative power is the fact that it doesn't just plug into the extant grid like an appliance. If every home were pre-wired for solar panels, and if you could buy ones and change them and just have them plug in fairly easily, everyone would have one on their roof, especially if the brackets were also standard and pre-installed. If you bought a new house that was pre-wired for one and you didn't have it, you would buy one. It's that simple. It's not that simple, because the pre-wiring and standard inverters don't exist.

                Once everyone had one of these, they would all feel like they were participating in something big, and hooking up a hydro or wind generator to the grid would become more normal. This would make everything get cheaper, and slow down the problem of regulation for it's own sake by the utilities and the governments.

                Starting with the generator and then going to the inverter and load controller makes sense from a perspective of just looking at the system. Starting at the inverter, bypassing the battery bank by tieing directly to the grid and sizing the system to match the inverter makes sense from the perspective of sales. Ideally, whatever generaton power is available at the site could be tied to it. You should be able to tie a wind or water turbine into it instead of solar or along with it. You should be able to upgrade it with accessories.

                True, this would waste lots of available power, but people do what's easy most of the time. Standardization makes it easy.

                I don't expect anything that plugs into the wall, just something that hooks up as easily as a built in dishwasher or a satellite dish when you tie your premade product into it. I use these as examples of a difficulty level. I would expect that the inverter could be wired into the home by a regular electrician and then used or not used later.

                Is this a stupid question?

                Sue Kaveny