[microhydro] What system suits me?

  • djohn64068@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3 4:09 PM
      My cabin is located between two 165'ridges in a hollow with a spring
      feed stream that runs all year long. There is two rock formations
      coming out from each ridge with the stream running through the middle
      of them. The height of the cliffs are 10' tall from stream to top. And
      about 45' apart from each outher, thus making it easy to dam. I have
      just purchased a Hilift to build my small lake. Being a concrete
      contractor I will be building the dam. The dam will have a 12'tall wall
      at waters edge; a 5' tall wall on the other side with a 5'x 5' hydro
      house connected; the width will be 15'(10' from the waters edge and the
      remainder 5' tapered down to the rear wall/hydrohouse).
      The stream has a output of 30 gal./min. with a head of 10 to 12 feet.
      Being in the Ozark Plateau it has an area of approx. 160 acres up
      stream that will contribute its rain fall to. The size(width/highth)of
      the spillway is also a question. I have plans on a Michal Blanki
      crossflow turbine that I got through V.i.t.a. dateing back sometime in
      the 1940's. There has to be some kind of tech. advancement since then.
      My application would be to run lighting and a water pump from a spring
      that I have capped off with 1 1/2" pvc tubing at the bottom of the rock
      formation. "NOTE" My cabin will be located within 50 to 75 feet of the
      hydrohouse and spring. *
      What would the best turbine be, is there a how to book?
      * What would be the best gen., voltage, amps., pully ratio?
      * Should the penstock intake be at top or near bottom of
      lake(emergency backup power)?
      * Is there a calculation for a spillway?
      * What water pump is best for a
      gravity feed system 00gal./00min., volt, amp, make/model?

      Thanks, Pat
    • Max Enfield
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5 12:49 AM
        djohn64068@... wrote:

        > My cabin is located between two 165'ridges ....

        Pat,

        If I understand you correctly, you have 30 gal/min flow at a head of 10
        to 12 feet. At 10 feet you will get about 20W of electricity [e.g 1.7A
        @ 12V] and at 12 feet you will get about 25W.

        I have a lot of experience with Banki-crossflow turbines and will do
        what I can to encourage people to use them. However unless you can get
        about 50W min. it's hardly worth the effort. I'm sorry to disappoint
        you - you will get more power with 2 x 80W solar panels at a
        fraction of the cost and effort.

        Regards,

        Max Enfield
        Planetary Power