Re: NW Oregon microhydro

  • dennisbuller
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004
      --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, bby2001@c... wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > This is Brian Yanity and I am an engineering student studying
      > microhydro. Right now, I am conducting an informal assessment of
      > the microhydro potential of the Northern Oregon Coast Range in
      > three counties: Tillamook, Clatsop, and Columbia. Has anyone on
      > this list done microhydro in this area, or know anyone who has?
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > Brian

      Dear Brian,
      Since this is an informal survey, first stop SPOOM, or the society
      for the preservation of old mills. They have all th mill listings
      online. Most of these sites have not switched over from the old
      mechanical systems, but have the head and flow so they could. You
      will also find most of the best spots are taken by these old mills.
      Second, check out my new design at http://wildwaterpower.com
      With my new gravity wheel design, you may have to reevaluate what
      constitutes a potential mycrohydro spot. My design just needs flow,
      not head (it creates its own head).
      Also, in my internet travels, I came across a organization that
      just put out a study on realistic midsized hydro power sites. But
      unfortunately I cannot remember which one! I am not sure if it was
      government or a hydroelectric support group. I will see if I can
      find it again for you.
      -Dennis Buller
    • dennisbuller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2004
        --- In microhydro@yahoogroups.com, bby2001@c... wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > This is Brian Yanity and I am an engineering student studying
        > microhydro. Right now, I am conducting an informal assessment of
        > the microhydro potential of the Northern Oregon Coast Range in
        > three counties: Tillamook, Clatsop, and Columbia. Has anyone on
        > this list done microhydro in this area, or know anyone who has?
        >
        > thanks,
        >
        > Brian

        Ah Ha! Found it!
        http://hydropower.inel.gov/
        check out the top report on the right in the box!
        Who is the man? This Guy!-Dennis