official Gorlov website

  • bby2001@columbia.edu
    Message 1 of 14 , May 30 1:05 AM
      Here is the official website for the Gorlov turbine:
      http://www.gcktechnology.com/GCK/

      As for UEKUS, I have heard through the rumour mill that they are
      pretty flakey, but don't quote me on that.

      Good Luck!

      -Brian

      ____

> [...]
      > > > this but I am learning while doing an will go all the way
      > with this
      > > > project for the next 12 months. I hope the outcome will bring
      > me
      > > > knowledge and experiences useful enough to repeat several
      > places in
      > > > Norway.
      > > >
      > > > So to the facts I have bought a place in northern Norway
      > where I
      > will
      > > > set up a prototype small budget small scale tide water plant.
      > There
      > is a
      > > > natural pool there of 3000 m2. The problem however is that
      > the
      > salamon
      > > > uses this for to access to a small lake true a small river.
      > So to
      > build
      > > > a pool that interferes with the salamons will not be a good
      > image
      > for my
      > > > new plant. And it is also conflicting with my intentions for
      > the
      > plant.
      > > >
      > > > I have looked at 2 2types with interest.
      > > > 1. The Gorlov turbine.
      > > > 2. The Savonious turbine.
      > > >
      > > > Now the question is how much power can I ideally get from
      > this
      > resource
      > > > that I have. Here are the figures.
      > > > Tide water differences 110 cm.
      > > > Pool aria 3000 m2.
      > > > Stream is approximately 3-4 knots at the most.
      > > > The river that ends inside the pool is small a guess is that
      > water
      > flow
      > > > is 5 1000-2000 l/min.
      > > >
      > > > Can anyone of you based on experience or calculations please
      > estimate
      > > > for me what the theoretical output for this energy resource
      > is?
      > > >
      > > > I have no idea what to expect whether it is 1 kW or 20 kW
      > > > But my guess is that here must be somewhere in between?
      > > >
      > > > Second question must be. What system has the best output.
      > > > The Gorlov turbine looked interesting but I would need to
      > know more
      > > > about efficiency.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks.
      > > >
      > > > Johs.

      > ---------------------~-->
      > Get A Free Psychic Reading! Your Online Answer To Life's
      > Important Questions.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM
      ---~->

      > Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
      > http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register
      > free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world
      > wide!
      >
      > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups
      > who provides us with free email group services. The
      > microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the

    • Johs Kleppe
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2003
        As for UEKUS, I have heard through the rumour mill that they are
        pretty flakey, but don't quote me on that.

        Good Luck!

        -Brian

        Thank God you did not say that officially then but posted it as a well
        kept secret in a newsgroup :)
        (grin)

        Tanks for the link.
        I really miss some place to temporarily post pictures and illustrations.
        I have some ideas I would like to share and my domain are not up yet.

        Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

        Johs.
      • Hugh Piggott
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2003
          >Here is the official website for the Gorlov turbine:
          >http://www.gcktechnology.com/GCK/

          I do wonder if anyone knows how long those blades will last. It
          looks like a prime candidate for fatigue failure to me. I am seeing
          wind turbines springing up all over the place with this configuration
          of blades too. http://www.core-international.nl/ They look a bit
          like darrieus rotors. They mostly always fall apart.

          What's wrong with a proper horizontal axis rotor??

          >As for UEKUS, I have heard through the rumour mill that they are
          >pretty flakey, but don't quote me on that.

          Their blade design looks a lot more intelligent to me :-)
          --
          Hugh

          hugh@...
          http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/
        • Jacques De Mévius
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
            Some members are using Yahoo for exposing pictures.
            I believe it s not so complicated?
            About your "Tide project", would a turbine like this
            fit into your stream?
            http://www.ette.no/hydro/pic/voith2e.gif

            Does somebody know if such a turbine is actually producing
            electricity somewhere in the world?

            Jacques de Mévius

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
              I do not think it would at this paricular project.
              However I am keeping it in mind for another where I can not build a
              solid wall.

            • Vladimir Karghiev
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 22, 2003
                Friday, May 30, 2003, Johs Kleppe wrote:

                > Here is a link to illustrate a submerged Gorlov turbine:
                > http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0517-05.htm

                > The Savonious turbine will probably not operate well submerged.
                > My guess is that it can operate in a channel that leads to the dam with
                > 40 - 45% of the turbine under water. But that are primitive guesses :)

                I don't think so. Savonius can operate fully submerged.

                Concerning the turbines types you are choosing from:

                - Gorlov's turbines are much more efficient than Savonius. I don't
                know about their reliability, but they should not be like wind
                Darrieus because they are much smaller (less tension) and should
                experiense no jerks (that's why they are twisted). However, this type
                of turbines has small starting torque. I guess that they don't start
                with full load connected to generators.

                - Savonuis has sufficient starting torque, but about twice as little
                efficiency and its rotation speed is about 3 times less (same diameter
                turbines)

                Usually these turbines are combined (Savonius inside with about 1/3 of
                turbine diameter) for ensuring reliable start. I made such combined
                turbines for portable free stream microhydro.

                For the flow speed you indicated (1.5-2 m/s) and the flow area 10 m wide and 2
                m deep you can estimate capacity of the station:

                P= width*depth*(velocity^3)/2* (turbine efficiency) * (transmission and
                generator efficiency)= 10*2*(2^3)/2*.3*.8= 19,2 kW

                or 8,1 kW at 1,5 m/s.

                P.S. You can read about another project with orthogonal turbines (their rotation axis is
                perpendicular to flow direction) at www.blueenergy.com

                Best regards,
                Vladimir Karghiev

                ---