Re: [microhydro] Re: Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

  • Ihtsham Frooq
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003
      Hello to All,
      I am a student of renewable energy and i am new in this group.I am also interested in micro hydro and specially software related in this field.I wana write my finall thesis on these softwares, So i hope that you my all seniors will help me and will guide me.
      Regards
      ihtsham
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 31, 2003

        wrote:
        > The state laws on alternative energy are idiotic and infuriating.
        Here in California they are about to try to impose a tax of 13 cents
        per kilowatt hour on energy produced with solar setups. In addition,
        they have long made hydro disqualified for net metering. Here's one
        that really is stupid: A person in my county put up a large windmill
        at a cost of $90,000. After he got it up, the county raised his
        property value by $90,000 dollars. This brought his annual property
        taxes up to a point where he is saving nothing by providing the
        electricity from the windmill!!! Even more absurd, solar
        installations are exempt from this treatment (raising property taxes
        when they are installed). This exemption for solar will no longer be
        allowed, however, in three years. Here's even more: There is a
        program that refunds part of the costs of installing solar and wind
        equipment (but not hydro). This program makes it seem like the state
        recognizes the need for such installations (again, not hydro) but
        then punishes those who undertake them by raising their taxes.

        > I know that similar restrictions and absurdities exist in other
        states and wonder if anything can be done about it. PURPA, a
        longstanding federal law, seems to make what the states are doing
        illegal. Is anybody out there reading this able to confirm this?

        > The roadblocks to alternative energy projects must come from the
        power companies. Is there a way to battle them? If the Iraq situation
        ever dies down, perhaps someone or some group should contact the
        large newspapers (LA Times, NY Times, Boston Globe, etc.) and try to
        get them interested in this situation. With all the crying going on
        about our energy dependence, this would seem to be a good story. I
        have contacted FERC and others about all of this and they say they
        will get back to me and never do.

        > Just for the record, I have a waterfall on my property that could
        generate enough power for several homes, but it is useless to tap
        that power given the restrictions I face from the state of CA.

        > Please let me have your comments and ideas.
        >
        > Mike

        Service.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

        NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

      • Upal Mahfuz
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2 2:19 AM
          Dear Isthaq,

          Hii!!! You may try National Renewable Energy Laboratory's (NREL, USA)two
          different softawres HOMER EXPRESS and HOMER PRO. They are very useful for
          designing and simulating a Renewable Energy system, as far as I know.

          Hope this helps. By the way, I am interested to know about Master's
          programme on RE at Oldenburg. Could you plese write something.

          Regards

          Upal Mahfuz

          > Hello to All,
          > I am a student of renewable energy and i am new in this group.I am also
          > interested in micro hydro and specially software related in this
          > field.I wana write my finall thesis on these softwares, So i hope that
          > you my all seniors will help me and will guide me. Regards
          > ihtsham

                      &nbs
          p;

                      &nbs
          p;

          >     Does your company feature in the microhydro business
          > directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please
          > register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community
          > world wide!
          >
          >     NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by
          > Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The
          > microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the
          > advertisements in any way.
          >
          >     More information on micro hydropower at
          > http://microhydropower.net
          >
          >     To unsubscribe: send empty message to
          > microhydro-unsubscribe@...
          >
          >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
          > Terms of Service.
          >

          >   [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          >

          >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      &nbs
          p;

          >   Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory
          > at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free
          > of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
          >
          >   NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups
          > who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group
          > does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.
          >
          >   More information on micro hydropower at
          > http://microhydropower.net
          >
          >   To unsubscribe: send empty message to
          > microhydro-unsubscribe@...
          >
          >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          > Service.

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
          > http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
          > charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
          >
          > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
          > provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does
          > not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

          > To unsubscribe: send empty message to
          > microhydro-unsubscribe@...

        • Ihtsham Frooq
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2 10:17 AM
            Hello
            Thanks for your guiadance, well i am studying in Oldenburg university and you can see the site for that the site is
            www.uni-oldenburg.de and for renewable program, www.ppre.de
            Regards
            Hii!!! You may try National Renewable Energy Laboratory's (NREL, USA)two
            different softawres HOMER EXPRESS and HOMER PRO. They are very useful for
            designing and simulating a Renewable Energy system, as far as I know.

            Hope this helps. By the way, I am interested to know about Master's
            programme on RE at Oldenburg. Could you plese write something.

            Regards

            Upal Mahfuz

            > Hello to All,
            > I am a student of renewable energy and i am new in this group.I am also
            > interested in micro hydro and specially software related in this
            > field.I wana write my finall thesis on these softwares, So i hope that
            > you my all seniors will help me and will guide me. Regards
            > ihtsham

                        &nbs
            p;

                        &nbs
            p;

            >     Does your company feature in the microhydro business
            > directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please
            > register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community
            > world wide!
            >
            >     NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by
            > Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The
            > microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the
            > advertisements in any way.
            >
            >     More information on micro hydropower at
            > http://microhydropower.net
            >
            >     To unsubscribe: send empty message to
            > microhydro-unsubscribe@...
            >
            >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
            > Terms of Service.
            >

            >   [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            >

            >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        &nbs
            p;

            >   Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory
            > at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free
            > of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
            >
            >   NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups
            > who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group
            > does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.
            >
            >   More information on micro hydropower at
            > http://microhydropower.net
            >
            >   To unsubscribe: send empty message to
            > microhydro-unsubscribe@...
            >
            >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            > Service.

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at
            > http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of
            > charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!
            >
            > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
            > provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does
            > not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

            > To unsubscribe: send empty message to
            > microhydro-unsubscribe@...

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Does your company feature in the microhydro business directory at http://microhydropower.net/directory ? If not, please register free of charge and be exposed to the microhydro community world wide!

            NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

          • gearjammer123us
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4 10:38 AM
              ***
              The people and FERC and those that work with PURPA say the biggest
              problem is with the power companies.
              ***

              power companies must first purchase energy resources in order to make
              electricity.
              power companies would benifit greater by using alternate energy or
              free energy.
              dont let the free energy throw you.
              its here in a way that cannot be denied.

              electricity cost money to make.
              why would a power company choose to buy resources when they dont need
              to.
              why do we use oil when hydrogen can be produced from coal , natural
              gas , methane , methane ice ... etc...
              and with cheap electricity the cost of hydrogen will be affordable.

              taxes?

              wouldnt the government make more money if all the money sent out of
              this country for oil resources started staying here making more jobs
              for us?
              how much money do they make from taxes on oil and gas?
              is it more than they make on income taxes , state taxes ... etc?
              arent we loosing jobs in the U.S. faster than we can supply them.

              who's right us or them?