Re: [microhydro] Using nearby reservoir for power

  • Grahame
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2003
      Hi Rich,
      Yes I mean BIG - the wall is maybe a 100m high and 300m long, and the
      two forks of the reservoir go back several kilometres. (The
      north-facing wall could have solar panels but that's another
      newsgroup!)
      The jet does charge continuously - I suspect the function of the jet
      is to aerate and/or warm the water.
      I couldn't see negative consequences in using the jet to spin a turbine.
      I haven't approached the (private) power company yet as I wish to get
      some basic details first. And given that they are making a bit of
      noise promoting 'green power' now may be the time to put a proposal
      to them.
      Cheers,
      Grahame

      --
      Grahame Rowland, 22 Grant St, Forrest 3236 Victoria; (03) 5236 6074.
    • Jeffe
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2003
        Grahame:

        I have a low-head micro hydro in East Gippsland...not far from you...and
        have a few local contacts for hydro and alternative power....and some
        experience with permits, etc....give a ring if you want to chat...Jeffe
        Aronson....03-5159-7252

        > Yes I mean BIG - the wall is maybe a 100m high and 300m long, and the
        > two forks of the reservoir go back several kilometres. (The
        > north-facing wall could have solar panels but that's another
        > newsgroup!)
        > The jet does charge continuously - I suspect the function of the jet
        > is to aerate and/or warm the water.
        > I couldn't see negative consequences in using the jet to spin a turbine.
        > I haven't approached the (private) power company yet as I wish to get
        > some basic details first. And given that they are making a bit of
        > noise promoting 'green power' now may be the time to put a proposal
        > to them.
        > Cheers,
        > Grahame
        >

        > >Graham,
        > >
        > >When you say big reservoir, how big is big??
        > >
        > >Does the jet discharge water continuously or just short periods?
        > >
        > >What is the water from the jet used for, is it irrigation or something?
        > >
        > >Would interference with this jet have any negative consequences?
        > >
        > >Rich
        > --
        > Grahame Rowland, 22 Grant St, Forrest 3236 Victoria; (03) 5236 6074.
        >

        > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
        provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not
        endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.

      • Grahame
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
          Hi Jeffe,
          When you say low-head micro what does that mean? The reservoir near
          here is the West Barwon Reservoir i.e. a full-blown fair dinkum
          reservoir. Presumably that's more than 'low head'?
          Read your article in the Age. I've got ex-forestry friends at Swifts
          (Cassilis actually) so I've got my fingers crossed for them. I know
          and love those ranges running off the Great Divide reasonably well so
          I can empathise with all those affected.
          Cheers, and good luck,
          Grahame

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 5, 2003
            Thanks for your thoughts, amigo...

            we're out of the line of fire now, as there's nothing left to burn.....

            low head is typically only a couple of meters....I'm not sure if there's an
            official limit, but ours is 2 meters....I suspect up to maybe 4 or 5 meters
            or so would be low head....once you go higher, you can use the more
            commercially available high head-low flow units which are cheaper and
            smaller and easier to install....

            I don't remember how high your reservoir is, but I assume you'll have plenty
            of head, and could use the high head units without much hassling the dam
            operators....there's a guy on the Nicholson who got permission to build a
            rock dam (about a meter or so high) across the river just below thier dam,
            and he's producing 1 kw...a lot...and going to build more....they don't
            care, but I think you should tread carefully at first to feel them
            out....you know how bureaucrats are....if they think there's any risk
            whatsoever or it'll take some effort on thier part, they might just concoct
            a PPE (perfeclty plausable excuse) for not letting you do it...of course
            it's always easier to ask forgiveness than for permission....so you might
            consider that as well...