Boat-Trolling PM Motor

  • MikeL
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2002
      Has anyone seen where to get an electric battery operated
      boat-trolling permanent magnet motor that can be anchored in a fast
      moving stream and used to recharge the batteries? Could be two
      separate units, but ideally I think it could be designed into one unit
      with different gear or belt ratios, with one ratio for moving the boat
      and another one when anchored and charging the battery.

      Mikel
    • garciah
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
        Mike:

        The boat-trolling motor need to have the propeller changed to be able to
        generate electricity.
        The ideal one is those that are DC Brushless types,( they are more
        expensive ), look for one that requires 24 or greater battery voltage for
        running.
        The propeller needs to be calculated for the "river" velocity and the needed
        RPM ( TSR), check AMPAIR submerged generator website to observe the
        propeller size and the energy that is reported at different velocities.

        Regards