Re: [microhydro] Induction Generator

  • Vladimir Nekola
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
      Leopoldo: I have Nigels book and I'll be in Mendoza (Lunlunta) in about two
      weeks. Mira mi pagina y podemos hablar.
      Vladimir
      --------------------------------
      Vladimir Nekola
      Nekolux
      1433 W. Chicago Avenue
      Chicago, IL 60622
      T & F: 312-738-3776
      www.nekolux.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2002
        At 7:02 pm -0300 30/8/02, Leopoldo Benegas wrote:
        >I´m working in a proyect with 10 mts head and 200 - 300 lts/s . We
        >have the oportunity to use a 20 HP induction motor 1500 rpm.
        >In the shop we moved it with another motor rotating at 1435 rpm,
        >using a ratio of 11/10 for the transmition, our "generator" was
        >running at 1580 rpm.
        >We used 3 x 20 uF capacitors in a C-2C configuration but we couldn´t
        >get more than 2 Volts from it.

        You will need about 300uF x 3. there is some trial and error but you
        need to be in the right ballpark.
        --
        Hugh

        At Lancaster http://tech2.southspace.org until monday
        http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/
      • turgo_gen
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
          Leopoldo,

          The file in the link below may help as well as some info on how to
          order Dr. Smiths book.

          >I've put a file with some information on using an induction motor
          > as a generator. The file came over the wind egroup a few years
          > back with the original author unknown. I just converted that word
          > document to pdf.

          There are a couple of places online you can order the book.

          http://www.developmentbookshop.com/book.phtml?isbn=1853392863
          Published Price: £9.95
          ISBN: 1853392863
          Published By: ITDG Publishing
          Published Date: 1994
          Format: PaperbackCategory: Energy-Water
          Description

          Motors as Generators for Micro-hydro Power is a guide to the use of
          induction motors for electricity generation in remote locations. It is
          written as a practical handbook for engineers and technicians involved
          in designing and installing small water power schemes for isolated
          houses and communities. This manual arose outof the practical
          experience of manufacturers and installers of induction generator
          units working in village locations in a number of countries.

          You can also order from Barnes & Noble
          http://www.bn.com/
          Motors as Generators for Micro-Hydro Power
          In Stock:Ships within 2-3 days.
          Nigel Smith / Paperback / Intermediate
          Technology Publications Limited /
          December 1994