MODULATED CAPACITOR POWER

  • H.G.
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2002
      PAUL:

      Indeed, modulating the power into the capacitors to control the output
      waveform and the PF close to unity is logical.

      Can you show us some of those circuits used to attain it ?.

      I am quite curious about it, I have designed one but it is a very restricted
      and I can not publish it, though it has not been used since I designed,
      many, many years ago.

      Also, what type of solid state power converters have you used, specially
      what type of specifications limits that may at the end causes a failure to
      the system ?.

      Regards

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:55:56 -0400
      From: "slyswine" <slyswine@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Aspen Hollow Hydro Site Tour

      Joe, Thanks for your response to my query. I don't think Harris has a web
      page. Note that I machine the bronze runners to fit whatever shaft is being
      used. As far as overcharge control, that is the easy part. I have used
      several solid state power converters over the years and they are very
      interesting. The basic problem is that they become the weakest link in any
      system and it is quaranteed that the machine that you ship the farthest will
      be the one that fails. Speaking of using standard motors (for induction
      generation), please be aware that there are great variations in performance
      in motors with identical nameplates but different brands. A realistic
      converter for these would be one that modulated the power into the
      capacitors so as to control the output waveform and keep the power factor
      close to unity. I stopped using induction machines when my PM generators
      became more efficient and they are also more user friendly. There is no
      problem with transformers and they are as reliable as a crowbar.

      Regards, Paul
    • slyswine
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2002
        Nando,

        You ask if I can show you a circuit for PF control and I have never built
        one. I was simply identifying the need. I have built some simple forward
        converter type converters. They need to withstand the high and possibly
        sudden runaway voltage that can occur if the load is dropped. This would
        happen if the transmission line were shorted and so on. I hope this answers
        your questions.

        Regards, Paul C

        > Indeed, modulating the power into the capacitors to control the output
        > waveform and the PF close to unity is logical.
        >
        > Can you show us some of those circuits used to attain it ?.
        >
        > I am quite curious about it, I have designed one but it is a very
        restricted
        > and I can not publish it, though it has not been used since I designed,
        > many, many years ago.
        >
        > Also, what type of solid state power converters have you used, specially
        > what type of specifications limits that may at the end causes a failure to
        > the system ?.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Nando

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:55:56 -0400
        > From: "slyswine" <slyswine@...>
        > Subject: Re: Re: Aspen Hollow Hydro Site Tour
        >
        > Joe, Thanks for your response to my query. I don't think Harris has a web
        > page. Note that I machine the bronze runners to fit whatever shaft is
        being
        > used. As far as overcharge control, that is the easy part. I have used
        > several solid state power converters over the years and they are very
        > interesting. The basic problem is that they become the weakest link in any
        > system and it is quaranteed that the machine that you ship the farthest
        will
        > be the one that fails. Speaking of using standard motors (for induction
        > generation), please be aware that there are great variations in
        performance
        > in motors with identical nameplates but different brands. A realistic
        > converter for these would be one that modulated the power into the
        > capacitors so as to control the output waveform and keep the power factor
        > close to unity. I stopped using induction machines when my PM generators
        > became more efficient and they are also more user friendly. There is no
        > problem with transformers and they are as reliable as a crowbar.
        >
        > Regards, Paul
        >

        > NOTE: The advertisements in this email are added by Yahoogroups who
        provides us with free email group services. The microhydro-group does not
        endorse products or support the advertisements in any way.