question about floating water wheels

  • H.G.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      ROBIN:

      Have you received enough and clear information about the possibilities of
      setting a power source driven by the Mighty River ?.

      To be able to get some power out of the river you will need to know the
      speed and the depth of the water where the runner is going to be located.

      The size of the runner (propeller) is limited by the depth of the river and
      of course some financial expenditures -- I am assuming here that the
      mechanical to electrical conversion can be done by you.

      5 miles/hour is about 2.24 meter/sec and a propeller type runner with one
      square meter area has the potential of being able to extract a theoretical 5
      KW from the river ( One square meter is about 10.76 square feet of runner
      surface area). The efficiency of the system can be as low as 10%.

      Also, there are other tricks to increase the water flow to give additional
      power, these are things like a shroud to protect the runner blades, and to
      increase the water flow by presenting a larger area mouth and an exit skirt
      that is larger to use the water movement behind it to generate a "vacuum" to
      pull more water through the blades, these things may increase the power more
      than 100%.

      River surface speed varies between the surface and the bottom of the river.

      For this type of energy recovery a decision needs to be done and it is the
      RPM of the runner (propeller) and the RPM of the generator . AQUAIR uses a
      permanent magnet generator designed for low RPM and the Blades (runner) are
      also set for high RPM - The blades in this case have a profile like the
      blades for a boat gas motor.

      You could EXPERIMENT using an electric Powered motor those used by fishermen
      for trawling.

      You need to remove the two blades propeller they use and replace it using a
      much larger multi blades propeller -- I suggested this to a friend of mine
      and he replaced the blades with a large, I believe, 5 blades propeller taken
      from a electric fan unit. I know that he charges a 24 volts battery (I do
      not recall the motor operating voltage), he has been boating in Europe and I
      have not been able to contact him to get more information and a good
      description of his finished project and the possible modifications he may
      have done to the blades.

      Most of the trawling motors are brush type, but I have been told the there
      are one or two models that use semiconductor switching and those could be
      used with rectifier diodes because they are true AC Motors without
      brushes -- I do not have any idea where to get them or which are the ones
      that are brushless motors -- MAYBE, since you are in the Big River area, you
      may inquire about them and even give us the info.

      The blade angle and the water velocity and, of course, the "load" will
      determine the RPM of the generator.

      Regards

      Nando

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 02:35:18 -0000
      From: "loxley_72401" <loxley@...>
      Subject: Hi, everybody. I've got a question about floating water wheels.

      I joined this group after I read the archives and saw a passing
      reference to a water wheel made out of a 55 gallon drum that floats
      in the water.

      I am looking for a power source for my houseboat, you see, on the
      Mississippi River, which flows around four or five miles an hour.
      Most of the research I've done concerning hydro power has to do with
      drops of water. Well, I've got no head to work with, but by golly
      I've got flow! :)

      I want to anchor, and let the river do work on a wheel (or series
      thereof) of some sort, to provide me with AC or DC electricity. The
      Aquair seemed rather expensive.

      I am envisioning one or two or three 55 gallon drums with big paddles
      on the sides, like a paddlewheel, floating in the water behind my
      boat. Well, that's straightforward enough. Can I generate a realistic
      amount of power this way? And what do I do to extract the electricity
      out of the mechanical torque of the wheel(s)? Find an old generator
      and attach the water wheel axle to where teh driveshaft of the motor
      used to be?

      I've looked all over the place already trying to figure all this out
      on my own, with no luck. Can y'all provide me any insights that may
      help me?

      Robin
    • loxley_72401
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
        --- In microhydro@y..., "H.G." <garciah@f...> wrote:
        > ROBIN:
        >
        > Have you received enough and clear information about the
        possibilities of
        > setting a power source driven by the Mighty River ?.

        Yes, I have, actually. I see that I need to find some very small
        motor/generators and maybe some books, and start experimenting.
        Perhaps with just a bicycle generator, a car battery (I know it's not
        a deep cycle, but this is just to start) and some sort of multimeter.
        I am very much looking forward to playing with this. It's my firm
        feeling that there's all the energy we could ever want all around us.
        it's raining soup, and we just need the right kind of bucket is all.

        Robin