pico hydro

  • Maher, Phillip
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2001
      Dear group members,

      Greetings from Nottingham, UK.

      Our research team has been developing low-cost approaches for rural
      electrification using pico hydro (max. electrical output, 5 kW) over the
      last 4 years. The low-cost implementation approaches are described in a
      manual called 'Pico Hydro for Village Power.' This has recently undergone
      some final revisions and the latest version is now available for downloading
      from our website. It is a pdf document so you will also need a reader
      program such as Adobe Acrobat. There is a link on the download page to a
      site where you can get this.

      http://eee.ntu.ac.uk/research/microhydro/picosite

      In addition to the implementation manual, there is a manual which describes
      the fabrication steps for a design of pico hydro system called the 'Pico
      Power Pack.' This design uses a Pelton turbine directly coupled to an
      induction generator and so is suitable for sites with a head of 20 metres or
      more. This manual can also be downloaded and printed off.

      A third booklet seeks to encourage a broader range of end-uses from pico
      hydro equipment. It is highly illustrated and aimed at a less technical
      readership.

      We are also running a training course in pico hydro in Cajamarca, Peru, this
      August. The course is specifically for people from Central and South America
      who are interested in becoming manufacturers of pico hydro equipment. It
      will be delivered in English with translation into Spanish and is free to
      successful applicants. Participants will, however, be expected to fund their
      own travel costs to Cajamarca and accommodation for the two week duration.
      There is also a registration fee of USD160 to cover material costs.
      Approximately 50% of the time will be spent on practical work with
      participants given the opportunity to fabricate their own Pelton runner and
      induction generator controller. Further details about the course can also be
      downloaded from the website and application forms are available directly
      from me. Please pass the above details on if you know of suitable candidates
      for this training who are not egroup members. Thanks.

      Regards to all,

      Phil Maher.