Waterpowered Washing machine

  • Ron and Diane
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
      Has anybody heard of a water powered washing machine? We work in Bolivia
      where nearly all women spend much of their time washing clothes, often in
      very cold water.
      Would anyone like to share design ideas regarding this? We have a
      waterpower demo site on the eastern slope of the Andes where we run a
      number of machines directly with waterpower using our Watermotor turbine.
      Such a machine might also be practical for washing coffee beans after
      fermentation.
      The Watermotor puts out about 1.3 hp at 1800 rpm under load and 3500 rpm
      running free. Far more power than needed . Any ideas?

      Ron Davis

      P.S. We have plastic chemical drums available here in all sizes.
    • frederik.barth@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
        A hydropowered washing machine is a great idea indeed, but
        it would probably be best to use a self-powered design. Here
        is an idea:

        Use two of your plastic drums, one for the washing and one for
        the rinsing. Both "machines" are identical, except that the one
        for washing is hermetically closed to hold the soap solution, while
        the one for rinsing has a good number of holes drilled into it so
        water can be exchanged with the outside.

        Screw a number of boards on the outside of the drum, with the
        screws comming from the inside. I guess 10-20 boards some
        15 cm high should be sufficient, but that will depend on the
        size of the drums. It will look like a water wheel or a star with
        the boards as "rays" sticking out. For better agitation of the
        laundry, attach 3 - 4 smaller boards in a similar way on the
        inside.

        If you make the outside boards a little longer than the drum you
        can attach a circular board on each end which can hold the bearings.

        Use a frame made from metal of wood to hang the "washing
        machine" in a fast-flowing river, so that about half of the drum
        is submerged. The barrel has to be mounted in a way that it can
        turn like a water wheel. The flow of the river will make the barrel
        turn, just like the old ship mill water wheels. In the rinsing machine,
        the river water penetrating through the holes will rinse out the soap.
        In the washing drum the water level should be adjusted so that
        it fills, together with the laundry, the barrel about half. Some simple
        taps that let the river water penetrate can be used to fill it with river
        water and empty it.

        I guess the desing can be changed so that it works like a breast or
        overshot waterwheel on smaller creeks where a foot or two of head
        can be obtained.

        > Has anybody heard of a water powered washing machine? We work in Bolivia
        > where nearly all women spend much of their time washing clothes, often in
        > very cold water.
        > Would anyone like to share design ideas regarding this? We have a
        > waterpower demo site on the eastern slope of the Andes where we run a
        > number of machines directly with waterpower using our Watermotor turbine.
        > Such a machine might also be practical for washing coffee beans after
        > fermentation.
        > The Watermotor puts out about 1.3 hp at 1800 rpm under load and 3500 rpm
        > running free. Far more power than needed . Any ideas?
        >
        > Ron Davis
        >
        > P.S. We have plastic chemical drums available here in all sizes.
      • Brian White
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
          I used the pulser pump to wash fodder beet and to wash sand (to clean
          it to use as building sand). You do not need much power to wash
          clothes, all you need is air and a non foaming detergant! I think to
          make a viable washing machine, you need a barrel that is 50 gallons
          (200 liters) or more in volume. you attach an air pump to your water
          motor and supply the air at the bottom of the barrel. The air will
          create strong currents in the water as it bubbles to the surface,
          churning and washing the clothes. To rince and dry the clothes, you
          need a 6 inch (15cm) pipe. Have some sort of grid at the bottom of the
          pipe and a tight lid on the pipe and an air entry valve at the top.
          Pipe to be 45 to 90 cm long. Stuff clothes in tight to the bottom of
          the pipe till it is halfway full. Fill with clean water. Close the lid
          and blast in the air for a pressure rince and partial drying.
          Best of luck and please report your findings in the group.
          Brian white
          From http://nxtwave.tripod.com/gaiatech/index.html#Pulser you can
          find some details of the sand washer. (It was only a proof of theory
          prototype)and it worked.
          --- In microhydro@egroups.com, Ron and Diane <cnsorata@c...> wrote:

          > Has anybody heard of a water powered washing machine? We work in
          Bolivia
          > where nearly all women spend much of their time washing clothes,
          often in
          > very cold water.
          > Would anyone like to share design ideas regarding this? We have
          > waterpower demo site on the eastern slope of the Andes where we run
          > number of machines directly with waterpower using our Watermotor
          turbine.
          > Such a machine might also be practical for washing coffee beans
          after
          > fermentation.
          > The Watermotor puts out about 1.3 hp at 1800 rpm under load and
          3500 rpm
          > running free. Far more power than needed . Any ideas?
          >
          > Ron Davis
          >
          > P.S. We have plastic chemical drums available here in all sizes.
        • sno
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2001
            Take a look here....plastic hand operated washing machine....it
            really works well as have used.....however believe would not work
            with cold water....but uses very little water...in 55 gallon drum
            might need a couple buckets of hot water.....also needs very little
            soap....

            Email them and see if you can get ahold of manufacturer and see if
            they could tell you exact theory...possibly how exactly to make one
            from drum...the drive mechanism could be wheel in river....

            http://www.laundry-alternative.com/products.html

            hope this helps.....steve opelc