Re: C-2C with Y windings?

  • Joseph Hartvigsen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
      --- In microhydro@egroups.com, hugh piggott <hugh.piggott@e...> wrote:
      > >Thanks Hugh,
      > > The 240V Y vs. 415V delta explanation makes sense to me.
      >

      > not to me though - I would say the other way around :-)

      It looks like my fingers got ahead of my brain with that.

      > >Since
      > >my motor can be configured 240V or 460V, and since the transformer
      > >in my battery charger can be configured for 120V, 208V, or 240V
      > >input it should work out ok.
      >
      > Battery chargers are not an ideal load for induction motor
      > generators. they do work but the output is sometimes less than you
      > would expect. I think this is due to the weird current waveform.

      I've seen in some transformer catalogs that the rating of a
      transformer for rectified output depends on the type of output filter
      used. If a capacitor is used, current only flows during the portion
      of the sine wave where the voltage is higher than the capacitor
      voltage. If a DC inductor is used as the filter, current can flow
      over more of the AC cycle and the transformer rating may be 1.8-2 x
      that with a capacitor filter. I have a bunch of soda can sized motor
      start capacitors, and a nice 500uH 30A DC inductor from which to make
      an ouput filter for the rectified 24V AC from the transformer. I
      would imagine that the ideal case would be for the current to also
      vary in a nice sine wave, in sync with the voltage. I think if I dug
      into my old physics and intro to EE books I could figure out the
      proper LC arrangement for a target current, or conversely, given the
      available inductor calculate what the critical current for 60 Hz
      operation would be. I guess that is something I should try to
      calculate. Has anyone in the group ever worked through the
      calculations for the effect of the ouput filter on the transformer PF?

      Joe