[microhydro] Re: alternative uses for falling water

  • Clive Stewart
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 1999
      "Jean-Jacques t'Serstevens wrote:
      > The Belgian university of Liege (ULg) with Ateliers de Cornillons
      > (disappeared) has design a ROTHOTHERM which is a pump with a awful efficient
      > (nearly only loses -> heat)
      > The Region Wallonne is the owner of this patent .
      > I try to have it since a while
      Should be really easy from all I hear. Just looking for something
      really inefficient!
      Thanks for the info, perhaps some day I will be able to publish my
      findings..for the most inefficient pump which only heats up!

      Clive

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/microhydro
    • Clive Stewart
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 1999
        Stuart Fraser <stuart@... wrote
        > Subject: [microhydro] Re: alternative uses for falling water

        > Have you considered a heat pump ?
        Yes indeed. But the system is relatively complicated and dependent on
        pumping gas around. I would prefer air or water as a heat transfer
        medium. I am also looking for a mechanical system which is robust,
        needs little attention and which lasts for 50 years.

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 1999

          Carlos Aguilar wrote:

          > I don´t have the experience, but I saw in some manuals a simple device to
          > turn mechanical energy (from windmill or hydro) into heat. It consists in
          > some kind of drum with oil in it. A shaft is connected to the prime mover.
          > The oil is moved by a rotor attached to the shaft and there are several
          > obstacles to this movement generating turbulences. What you´ve got there is
          > avery ineficient hydraulic system where most of the power is lost by the oil
          > particles´ friction in the form of heat.
          > Once you heated the oil you can use it in radiators, for water heating, etc.
          Sounds good except that I would prefer to use something in which
          should there be a leakage then we end up not polluting the whole
          river! Oil is a little too unfriendly. Thanks for the idea, the main
          thing here is creating friction, and then transferring the heat
          quickly away from the hot spot!

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 1999
            > I have seen a manual from GTZ, Germany on this topic. I cannot remember the
            > title
            What on earth is GTZ? Then maybe your information would help!
            Thanks

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 1999
              > From: "tor-3008" <yves.cabooter@...>

              > Hello,
              > I've been reading a lot without talking myself so far. My name is Dirk
              > Vansintjan and I'm working for Ecowatt, a small Belgian company in small
              > hydro but growing fast now. I've seen this rototherm (and one is functioning
              > in the south of the country) and I have some documentation on it.

              Do you have it in email form? If so please forward to me!

              > It has
              > indeed a rendement of over 90 %. But we are more interested of driving a
              > heathpump directly by a small turbine or waterwheel: rendement about 250 %.
              > The problem is to find heatpumps that can be driven by an extern powerforce,
              > most of them have an integrated electromotor, but they exist.
              > Another ,cheaper solution for the rototherm (which costs about 2000 USD) is
              > to adapt a standard hydraulic friction coupling by fixating one of the
              > parts, so causing a lot of friction and warmth, and by organising a
              > waterflow through it.
              Sounds a little chaotic and we must first have a machine which we
              then block. I don't feel so enthusiastic about this solution, but in
              principle it should work.

            • DaveNRGman@ascent.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 2, 1999
                <m10hdd3-0003dc-@...> wrote:
                Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/list/microhydro/?start=191
                > Stuart Fraser <stuart@... wrote
                > > Subject: [microhydro] Re: alternative uses for falling water
                >
                > > Have you considered a heat pump ?
                > Yes indeed. But the system is relatively complicated and dependent on
                > pumping gas around. I would prefer air or water as a heat transfer
                > medium. I am also looking for a mechanical system which is robust,
                > needs little attention and which lasts for 50 years.
                > Clive

                Hi:
                We install Ground Source Heat Pumps. The technology has drastically improved in the last 5 years. The plastic pipe heat exchanger in the ground is typically warranted for 50 to 55 years- expected life of 75 to 100 years. The heat pump operation is much simpler than oil furnace operation and has far less maintenance at least in closed loop installations. The plastic pipe loops in the ground are filled with water and a small percentage of antifreeze. The best heat pump units are warranted now for 5 years with optional 10 year extended warranties. Expected life of 20 years. This is the same as the expected life of a well maintained oil furnace (which require more maintenance because oil is a dirty fuel).
                Dave Austin

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/microhydro
              • Stuart Fraser
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 3, 1999
                  I remember seeing a documentry in the UK about a company in the US (?)
                  who was making a 'mecanical rotation' to heat/steam converter. (I wasn't
                  particularly interested at the time as the were implying it was over
                  unity). It was based on a cyclinder with radial holes rotating in a
                  sleave and the working medium was water. If I recall they had installed
                  several as water heaters in a fire station ?

                  In article <m10Hdd3-0003DCC@...>, Clive Stewart
                  <Clive.Stewart@...> writes
                  > Stuart Fraser <stuart@... wrote
                  >> Subject: [microhydro] Re: alternative uses for falling water
                  >
                  >> Have you considered a heat pump ?
                  >Yes indeed. But the system is relatively complicated and dependent on
                  >pumping gas around. I would prefer air or water as a heat transfer
                  >medium. I am also looking for a mechanical system which is robust,
                  >needs little attention and which lasts for 50 years.
                  >Clive

                  stuart@... The Cottage, Oak Way, Reigate Surrey,
                  RH2 7ES, Tel/Fax/Data: 01737-762513

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 3, 1999
                    > > Stuart Fraser <stuart@... wrote
                    > > > Subject: [microhydro] Re: alternative uses for falling water
                    > >
                    > > > Have you considered a heat pump ?
                    > > Yes indeed. But the system is relatively complicated and dependent on
                    > > pumping gas around. I would prefer air or water as a heat transfer
                    > > medium. I am also looking for a mechanical system which is robust,
                    > > needs little attention and which lasts for 50 years.
                    > > Clive
                    > >Could it be that your programme is not line-wrapping?
                    I cannot see what you wrote after 55 years .
                    Try writing again,

                    Thanks.
                    > Hi:
                    > We install Ground Source Heat Pumps. The technology has drastically improved in the last 5 years. The plastic pipe heat exchanger in the ground is typically warranted for 50 to 55 years- expected lif> Dave Austin

                    > Internet stocks: hype or reality?
                    > FT.com. The Financial Times online.
                    > Click here to access more than 3,000 worldwide sources
                    > http://offers.egroups.com/click/220/0
                    >
                    > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/microhydro

                    Clive

                    eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/microhydro
                  • Dr. -Ing. Akin Akinrogunde
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 4, 1999
                      Dr.-Ing. Akin Akinrogunde wrote:

                      > I have seen a manual from GTZ, Germany on this topic. I cannot remember the
                      > title

                      The title of the Manual is
                      The Heat Generator. It is published by SKAT and not by GTZ as I earlier
                      mentioned.
                      Sorry for the error.

                    • rridissi@netscape.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 2, 1999
                        Soy nuevo en este grupo y aprovecho para saludarlos a todos.
                        Estoy necesitando información sobre los controladores de velocidad de las
                        microturbinas en general, especialmente las tipo Michel-Banki. Todo lo que puedan aportarme será bienvenido.

                        Atte,

                        Rubén Ridissi

                        More information on micro hydropower at http://start.at/microhydro
                        Microhydro eGroup page at http://www.itc.nl/~klunne/hydro/egroup
                      • Jan Portegijs
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 2, 1999
                          Estimado sr. Ridissi.

                          Recibio su requesto por informaciones sobre controladores por turbinos
                          del typo Michel-Banki via el `Micro Hydro eGroup’. He desarrollado un
                          controlador typo `Electronic Load Controller’ que puede usar con
                          generadores typo `synchronous’. El version normal es por `single phase’
                          y tiene un capacidad de 7 kW, pero `3-phase’ versiones y versiones con
                          capacidades mas altos son posible. Con un adaptacion minor, esta
                          controlador puede tambien servir con generadores typo `asynchronous’. El
                          diseno es libre a producir, sin derechos de licencias etc. Se puede
                          encontrar el manual en:

                          http://www.itc.nl/~klunne/hydro/egroup/portegijs.html

                          Pero hay algunos dificultades:
                          · El trabajo a mi manual no es finito, el `lay-out’ no es tan lindo,
                          puede estar pequenos erores etc.
                          · El manual es bastante grande: Tambien en forma compresado, es 1 Mb.
                          · El manual es en Ingles. No tengo el tiempo ni los capacidades a
                          traducirlo en Espanol

                          Espero que mi manual sera util a usted. Buen suerte con sus proyectos de
                          Micro Hydro.

                          Jan Portegijs.

                          More information on micro hydropower at http://start.at/microhydro
                          Microhydro eGroup page at http://www.itc.nl/~klunne/hydro/egroup
                        • tony
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 4, 1999
                            greetings.
                            We have a lot of information on electronic load governors for micro hydro
                            systems and would be pleased to help. Unfortunately we cannot understand
                            Spanish and if you wish to contact us again in English we may be able to
                            help.

                            Please excuse my lack of comprehension of your language!

                            regards,
                            Tony Woods

                            More information on micro hydropower at http://start.at/microhydro
                            Microhydro eGroup page at http://www.itc.nl/~klunne/hydro/egroup
                          • Jose Luis
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 17, 1999
                              We have a lot of information on electronic load governors for micro hydro
                              systems and would be pleased to help. Unfortunately we cannot understand
                              Spanish and if you wish to contact us again in English we may be able to
                              help.

                              Please excuse my lack of comprehension of your language!

                              regards,
                              Tony Woods

                              Apply for a NextCard credit card: Save Money with a low intro rate and
                              no annual fee. Make Shopping Easy with Safe Shopping Guarantees, 1 Click
                              Shopping and Double Rewards. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/448

                              More information on micro hydropower at http://start.at/microhydro

                              Microhydro eGroup page at http://www.itc.nl/~klunne/hydro/egroup

                              Estoy buscando direcciones en Castellano relacionadas con la microhydrulica
                              si sabes de alguna te estaria super agradecido de que me la enviases

                              Atentamente

                              Jose Luis

                              Jllubi@...
                            • Jose Luis