RE: [microhydro] Water Wheel Bucket Size??

  • McCarty, Samuel D
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
      Dan, I just completed construction of an 8ft DIA overshoot wheel. The best
      design information I could find is "A DESIGN MANUAL FOR WATER WHEELS" W.G.
      Ovens Published by VITA (Volunteers in Technical Assistance) My library had
      to borrow it from another library.

      Samuel McCarty

    • Robert Hubbs
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2000
        Dan and All,
        It seems that most overshot wheel designers reccomend that the rim speed be
        kept low, down to 6' or 3' per seccond. They usualy use a 1' spacing for
        the buckets. At say 4' per seccond rim speed you will have 4 buckets
        passing per seccond so the buckets must be large enough to accomidate your
        flow rate . This was gleaned from 20 years of water wheel research and
        seemed to be the concensous of many people from the builders in the last
        century and the earlier years of the 20 th century. I used the
        Encyclopedia Brittanica (1910) as well as many references of the period when
        water power was used more than steam or of course other later forms of
        energy .
        Are you building a steel or wooden wheel? Have you considered any of
        the turbines? Success to
        you, Robert Hubbs