induction generator problem

  • mechjackt
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2013
      I'm using a .75kW 1140 RPM 3 phase induction motor in C-2C configuration as a generator. Calculations indicate cap values to be 20MF and 40MF. I find I have to turn it at about 1800 RPM in order for it to excite. I tried temporarily connecting DC across 2 leads to induce magnetism but to no avail. When spinning at 1800 RPM the unloaded voltage is about 240V with frequency at over 100 HZ. With a 500W load voltage drops to about 165V, holding to 95 Hz. I've tried various capacitor values very little change in output. Any ideas how I can get 60 Hz at 240V with a 500 watt load?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2013
      I am attaching to this message the Nigel Smith notes "Induction Motor as Generator"

      Your motor 1140 RPM indicates that is a 6 pole motor rare for a 3/4 kw  or 1 HP motor. it seems that it is a 4 pole since it energizes at 1800 RPM and the capacitors are wrong.

      I hope that your yahoo account accept an attachment of 7.1 MB otherwise send a message to me with a better email service.